General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grips vs Heated Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:44 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heated Grips vs Heated Gloves

Has anyone here had both heated grips and heated gloves, and can you offer comment on which works better? Was thinking I'd like to get heated grips for my Switchback. But then was thinking - should I just get heated gloves? Is one better than the other? Would either really extend my riding season by allowing me to ride further into the fall and start earlier in the spring? If I'm going to spend the money, wondering if it's wroth it, or which would be the better alternative to spend money on.

My problem is that even with good cold weather riding gloves my fingers get really cold.

I know - why am I worrying about it in JULY? lol ...

Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Heated grips warm your palms. If you wear insulated cold weather gloves your palms are insulated from the warm grips. Heated gloves warm your whole hand.

Dan

Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Krustee
Heated grips warm your palms. If you wear insulated cold weather gloves your palms are insulated from the warm grips. Heated gloves warm your whole hand.

Dan
I agree with Dan for the most part. I have heated grips and I do feel the heat while wearing insulated gloves but just the palms. I thought of going to heated gloves to warm whole hand and if I get rid of the heated grips, then I can get a throttle lock that disengages when I squeeze front brake. This throttle lock I want does not recommend installing with heated grips.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Get both, you won't regret it... Grips when it's chilly & heated gloves when cold.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

Heated gloves, hands down (no pun intended.) Heated grips do nothing to warm the whole of your hand, just the palms. Cold air blowing over the top of regular gloves will chill very quickly. Heated grips will not distribute heat around your hands fast enough to keep them warm but heated gloves will.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

I've had heated gloves for years and love them. My 14 Limited came with heated grips so I've played around with them at times. The grips are always there and with a simple twist of the switch they're on. My problem with them is that to get the most heat from them you must keep your hands closed around the grip. I also find that my thumbs get cold because I don't have them wrapped around the grip. I usually ride with a relaxed grip which allows heat to escape. Gloves require that they be connected to the bike somehow (I use the Gerbing supplied harness direct to the battery) and a switch/thermostat to regulate the heat. They do heat the outer part of the hand but easily generate enough heat to keep your entire hand warm. You can ride with a relaxed grip or even remove a hand from the bars and still stay warm. My preference is the gloves (maybe because I'm used to them) but the grips are more convenient.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Joe Dirt 14
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heated grips

I have a 2013 ultra limited with heated grips. It has a range from 1 to 6. In cold temps like low 30s I haven't turned the heated grips past 3 with insolated gloves. The grips feel tacky they get so warm. Cant imagine turning them up to 6. I don't think you could go wrong with heated gloves either.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Have heated grips on ATV and HD; good when it's just a bit cooler out. Gloves are better yet, but not as convienient. Probably too cold for me to ride if I gotta plug more than a vest in...

Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I had heated grips on my last bike and decided to get heated gloves to try on this one and I'll buck the trend and vote heated grips all day long. Both bikes are street glides with stock bars so wind over the hand isn't a huge problem. Heated gloves are bulky and I have small hands, I really don't like bulky gloves. Heated grips and lightly lined gloves worked really well for me down to about 40. Also really convenient when it's even just a little chilly. I never set the, over 3 and they went to 6.

However, I also learned about heated jacket liners this year and those are worth the price of admission in cold weather.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I've had both but prefer the heated grips. Much easier and convenient.

Quick Reply: Heated Grips vs Heated Gloves