General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RV / Camper advise at Sturgis - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM
RanchDweller
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RV / Camper advise at Sturgis - HELP

I will be going to Sturgis for the first time this year. I have reserved a RV spot at the Buffalo Chip. I am starting to second guess bringing the RV. My RV is a 45foot long triple axle 5th wheel toy hauler. This thing is HUGE and takes a lot of effort and diesel getting it somewhere. It is super nice and it would be great to stay in. I am only going for 4 days. I am starting to think that it might be easier to just pitch a tent for 4 days. ANY VETRAN RV / 5th WHEELER STURGIS people have any advise. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Blueflame1
Tourer

The Buffalo Chip is one BIG party. Day and night. There is NO sleeping at the Chip whatsoever, unless you pass out, and a small dome type tent will be fine for that. It could rain, it could hail, the wind will blow, it is dusty, it is hot, it can be cold. An RV would be nice with hook-ups and electricity to run an aircon, but, a tent will work just fine.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:24 AM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueflame1
The Buffalo Chip is one BIG party. Day and night. There is NO sleeping at the Chip whatsoever, unless you pass out, and a small dome type tent will be fine for that. It could rain, it could hail, the wind will blow, it is dusty, it is hot, it can be cold. An RV would be nice with hook-ups and electricity to run an aircon, but, a tent will work just fine.
If you tent, spring the $ for a personal portapotty. The communal ones get really nasty, no matter how often they get serviced.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:15 PM
RanchDweller
6th Gear

I want to know that will it be too difficult to deal with this GIANT 5th wheel or will it be easy in and easy out. I am stressing myself out thinking about pulling this up there. It must not be too bad if there is soooo many campers / rv's up there.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,256 Likes on 11,140 Posts

We had a 30 ft RV pulling a 12 ft trailer last year. No problems at all with maneuvering. We were located in what was called the "old gun range". We were on the other side of the access road (132nd Ave.), and it was quiet there at night. We were against the Torx course, so got to see those races, as well as tractor pulls for free...but it was loud during the daytime events. We had electric and water connection. But no sewage. You can arrange at the Chip to have someone come by and pump out your holding tanks.

IMHO...the only way for us to go was as we did. We stopped at 2 KOAs on the way, and it was great to be self contained. At the Chip, you can eat all your meals somewhere. But, it was nice to have air conditioning, as it was the 90s the first few days. It was great to have a shower of your own, your own head, a place to make meals, and have coffee the first thing the AM. Oh yeah..and you will get at least one really good thunderstorm...maybe with hail. So, it's nice to have the protection and comfort of the hard sided RV.

There were lots of big 5th wheels, and they all seemed to be doing fine.

But, we saw lots of tents...and even people that tied just a tarp to their bike to sleep under.

To each his own.

As long as you indicated the length of your rig in the reservation...you should be OK.

Have a great time!!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:06 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

The Chip will get you a spot that fits the trailer. Our neighbors are always there in 42 foot Raptors and no issue other than needing to unhook the truck and park it sideways in front. Every time I have been to the Chip the place is a ghost town after 2 a.m. so sleep is easy. Most simply hit the hay once the concerts are over. Turn the sound system up just loud enough to barely hear it and you will sleep like a baby or in my case pass out and not be disturbed the rest of the night!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,350 Posts

We stayed in my brothers toy hauler in Hill City KOA, bit of a ride to Sturgis and the activities. Once the RV is parked it's home and it's easier to weather out the pop up storms in the RV than a tent. Call me a wuss but it worked out well. Hail hurts.