General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help suggest a voltmeter

Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help suggest a voltmeter

My voltage dropped the other day for a little while and the check engine light and battery light came on. I would like to see if my 2012 Street Glide voltage regulator is going bad on me. (I just put a new battery in this spring)

I have the instructions on how to check the charging system. I'd like to do this myself but have limited knowledge on electrical tools. Can someone suggest a basic voltmeter I could buy from Harbor Freight or Advance auto parts that would allow me to perform all the steps. One step is to use a test light. Is that part of a voltmeter? Is a voltmeter the same as a multimeter and ohmmeter? Is there a Youtube video showing how to do this? Or would you suggest I take it to a professional?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts
Old 07-16-2015, 02:03 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
My voltage dropped the other day for a little while and the check engine light and battery light came on. I would like to see if my 2012 Street Glide voltage regulator is going bad on me. (I just put a new battery in this spring)

I have the instructions on how to check the charging system. I'd like to do this myself but have limited knowledge on electrical tools. Can someone suggest a basic voltmeter I could buy from Harbor Freight or Advance auto parts that would allow me to perform all the steps. One step is to use a test light. Is that part of a voltmeter? Is a voltmeter the same as a multimeter and ohmmeter? Is there a Youtube video showing how to do this? Or would you suggest I take it to a professional?
A multimeter will read volts and ohms, AC and DC.

If you have a multimeter, there really is no need for a test light, since a test light is functionally identical to measuring voltage.

You're on the right track: Go to Advance, Harbor Freight, etc. For your purposes, any cheapo will do. If you want to get a little fancier, I do like the "audible continuity" feature.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,340 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
Is a voltmeter the same as a multimeter and ohmmeter?
Technically, no, but you'll almost never a device that is just a voltmeter these days (aside from a gauge on a vehicle). Voltmeter in part of what makes up the multi in multi-meter. Usually it's Volts, Ohms and amps. You used to sometimes hear them called VOM's (Volt Ohm Meter). For what you describe, any basic one will do. Harbor Freight even has a free one they give away sometimes.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,711 Likes on 6,180 Posts

That little red one that comes from Harbor Freight (sometimes free with a coupon), is a piece of crap. Smokes if you put it on your battery. Must be why it's free. I see guys at swap meets trying to sell them for around $10.
Get a Fluke. It will be useful lots of times.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all.....found some vids on YouTube and feel more comfortable with the procedure. Just nervous when working with electricity and voltage

Old 07-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,162 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Fluke is the best...but if you are not making a living with it, no need to drop that kind of cash. Home Depot has decent meters that won't break the bank.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/multimeters?NCNI-5

Old 07-16-2015, 06:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,810 Likes on 17,447 Posts

For a newbie garage guy any under $20 meter you can get will work just fine , no reason to spend $60 to $200 on something your gonna use once before the battery dies 5 years from now , HomeDepot, Lowes, Sears all have them.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Inexpensive digital multi meter, forget the analog meter.
Quite a few videos on youtube how to check the Harley charging system, some are just a basic test and others show hot check the rectifier/stator, etc.
Edit: Wanted to add, between the service manual for your model(specs & guides) & youtube, you can troubleshoot/repair most items on your scoot. Luk with it.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 07-16-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Best tool in the box. I have one in my truck and boat, also. You never know!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help suggest a voltmeter