General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Installed My Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 PM
fboy319
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dealer Installed My Tires?

Purchased tires for my bike from my Dealer and had them install them. Put on God awful sticky weights on my front spoke wheel, 2 grams 1 gram on Rear disc. They charged me 2 hrs. lab. which I'm ok with but $10.00 for weights and then $6.00 for shop supplies. To top it off they kept my 1 old chrome spoke weight worth about $5.00. Now I'm pissed and will call them tomorrow, I know I should have gone over the bill before I left but I was in a hurry. Am I being unreasonable here?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:07 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I really like my local shop, and sometimes drop in just to say "Hello", I do NOT have the patience to wait and then PAY for someone to do a job I can quite handily do myself.

Two hours to change a tire???

Your indignation is justly felt and expressed!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The spoke weights are more noticeable but I like them better. But...I put Ride On I'm my tires and don't need any weights at all. As for changing my own, no tools or jacks to do it myself.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fboy319
Purchased tires for my bike from my Dealer and had them install them. Put on God awful sticky weights on my front spoke wheel, 2 grams 1 gram on Rear disc. They charged me 2 hrs. lab. which I'm ok with but $10.00 for weights and then $6.00 for shop supplies. To top it off they kept my 1 old chrome spoke weight worth about $5.00. Now I'm pissed and will call them tomorrow, I know I should have gone over the bill before I left but I was in a hurry. Am I being unreasonable here?
Before digging in to the details of your issue too far, I'll start by saying that this is another reason I started changing tires on my own bikes (and many others') over 10 years ago now. It's really not that hard to do, as long as you have a few of the right techniques and tools.

Stick on weights generally do not come in increments as small as 1 gram. The little square stick on weights are generally something like 7 grams each, or so. I could be quoting this wrong, but 1/4 oz. stamped on them is usually accompanied by 7 grams on the same square. (Of course, they can be cut into tiny pieces, but the sticky tape needs something bigger than a sliver to stick to...)

So, if you really mean that there is only 2 grams on one wheel and 1 gram on the other, I doubt that is accurate.

Further, if you meant that there is only 1 little square on one tire, and two little squares on the other, then you should be happy that it took so little weight to balance. (Side note: If you want to get rid of the sticky weights, you could always replace with the same amount of solder discreetly wrapped around the nearest spoke, since the amount of weight needed is so small.)

They probably disposed of them like they would on any old weights that they take off. I have seen dealers just leave all the old weights on, and add enough new weights to fake people out too. So, at least they took off the old ones first...

As to the charges...I should start charging $10.00 for three sticky weights, and $6.00 for tire lube and a couple of shop towels. Assuming that two hours' labor comes to something north of $150.00...that's just crazy.

If you pay dealer prices for tires, they should mount/balance them for free, IMHO.

I figure for every set of tires delivered to my house, the savings over a dealer purchase/install is between $200-$500 dollars. Per set. On any bike.

Good luck man,

Shane

Last edited by Shanebo; 07-19-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 489 Posts

Most indy shops will install a pair of carry-in tires for $40-$80 (or less).
Did your dealer have to remove/install from bike as well?, If so, then I think you got a deal.
Yeah, glue on weights are fugly, but unless you tell them otherwise, that's what they'll use cuz it's fast (cheap).
Maybe peel 'em off and put dyna beads in? Heard good things about them.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Most wheel weights are not reusable, and they would need to fish them out the trash if went back and asked for them - they'd think, but not say, you're crazy.
The dealers charges are standard.

Consider getting your tires done at an Independent shop, and use Ride-On or Dyna Beads.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:51 PM
fboy319
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanebo
Before digging in to the details of your issue too far, I'll start by saying that this is another reason I started changing tires on my own bikes (and many others') over 10 years ago now. It's really not that hard to do, as long as you have a few of the right techniques and tools.

Stick on weights generally do not come in increments as small as 1 gram. The little square stick on weights are generally something like 7 grams each, or so. I could be quoting this wrong, but 1/4 oz. stamped on them is usually accompanied by 7 grams on the same square. (Of course, they can be cut into tiny pieces, but the sticky tape needs something bigger than a sliver to stick to...)

So, if you really mean that there is only 2 grams on one wheel and 1 gram on the other, I doubt that is accurate.

Further, if you meant that there is only 1 little square on one tire, and two little squares on the other, then you should be happy that it took so little weight to balance. (Side note: If you want to get rid of the sticky weights, you could always replace with the same amount of solder discreetly wrapped around the nearest spoke, since the amount of weight needed is so small.)

They probably disposed of them like they would on any old weights that they take off. I have seen dealers just leave all the old weights on, and add enough new weights to fake people out too. So, at least they took off the old ones first...

As to the charges...I should start charging $10.00 for three sticky weights, and $6.00 for tire lube and a couple of shop towels. Assuming that two hours' labor comes to something north of $150.00...that's just crazy.

If you pay dealer prices for tires, they should mount/balance them for free, IMHO.

I figure for every set of tires delivered to my house, the savings over a dealer purchase/install is between $200-$500 dollars. Per set. On any bike.

Good luck man,

Shane
8, 7 gr. squares on the front and 4 7 gr. squares on the rear

Old 07-19-2015, 09:08 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop towel charge was a back breaker for me. I told them not to use shop towels or let me know. I would bring a roll of paper towels.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:08 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanebo
...Assuming that two hours' labor comes to something north of $150.00...that's just crazy.

If you pay dealer prices for tires, they should mount/balance them for free, IMHO...

Good luck man,

Shane
Both of these ^^.

I love my dealer, but...

I wanted a pair of Commander IIs. $540. JUST FOR THE TIRES. $250 to install unless I took off the wheels and brought the wheels in. Then, "only" $100. $790 total if I don't take the wheels off.

But, wait, it gets better...

I was jokingly asking the service manager if I bought the tires outside and brought them in to have them do the installation, because I support my dealer whenever I can, would I be on his **** list. He laughed, said probably not, but that he would have to make me sign a waiver relieving them of any responsibility for the install. What? Why? "Well, you know, these tires from the internet are frequently out of round, so off balance that they can't be balanced correctly, etc., etc.." I explained that no, they're not Chinese tires, they're the same brand new Michelin Commander IIs I would be from here. "Yeah, but they don't say Harley-Davidson on the side."

W.T.F. Ok, I've been called a few names in my life, but "slow" isn't one of them. Got it. I'm outta here.

Went to the local BMW/Honda/Kawasaki dealer, bought the identical tires, installed, didn't have to take the wheels off the bike, $440 TOTAL.

I bought the same pair of tires, had them installed, and the total price was $100 less than just the tires at the dealer. And, even better, they stand behind their work and didn't make me sign a waiver.

I am so pissed at the dealer.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

8, 7 gr. squares on the front and 4 7 gr. squares on the rear

Got it. The initial post indicated 2 grams and 1 gram.

Looks like it was 2 oz, and 1 oz. That's getting to be a little on the high side, but not yet bad.

All the best,

Shane

Quick Reply: Dealer Installed My Tires?