General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 AM
msrngtp2002
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System Issues

I recently completed a 3500 mile trip from Erie, PA to Key West, Fl went south on one route and north on another.

Last year it was 4500 miles to Mt. Rushmore with 2 different routes.

In both cases the navigation system worked pretty well except in certain places - then it would steer me wrong.

Some would suggest that the GPS is immaterial to the bike, however I bought a brand new 2014 ultra - made in the USA. On that bike I expect a fully functioning, current update to the software and hardware - it is a NEW bike and everything on it should be new.

There are no current map updates available from the NaviExtras website. The most recent are 4Q 2012 - STILL 2.5 years old - or older.

There is no excuse for the inability to update maps given today's technology.

I have contacted HD about this issue and it wasn't really taken seriously.

I find the lack of accurate maps to be a safety issue. Going around Miami the thing wanted me to get off I95 and make and turn around! It was 100 degrees and not being familiar with Miami I followed the road signs rather than listen to the GPS.

As such I am searching for about 20 people who would like to join me in a class action lawsuit to force Harley (And/Or the navigation mfg) to update the maps and make same available for free to current owners of the Boom! Navigation system.

I believe I can find an attorney who would be glad to address this.

But I love the bike - it rides like a dream, does all it says it will do - I rode 650 miles in the pouring rain yesterday with no issue - EXCEPT the Nav system which steered me wrong more than once.

If anyone is interested please contact me on this forum.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO...another BS lawsuit...

Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Show me any gps that is 100% correct

Oh and I would never doubt the ability to find a lawyer to take on anything

Old 07-20-2015, 09:55 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,296 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I had a nice solution but after re-reading your attempts at rectifying the situation and went back and re-read the post "what is a wallet biker". You sir seem to be a prime example. Have a good day.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Updating maps is a slow and difficult process. 2 year old maps are not uncommon. Are there some mistakes, I'm sure. That being said, as an attorney I would say you don't have a case I would touch. What exactly are your damages? You were rerouted in the heat of Miami? Enjoy the gps for what it is, a navagational aid to provide assistance to those that are either too lazy, don't understand or are unwilling to look at a map. I use gps all the time, sometimes is wrong, sometimes it takes a route I wouldn't choose. In the end I find it more beneficial than problematic so I use it, if your experience differs, don't use it. But a law suit, get serious.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Out of curiousity, has anyone yet successfully sued any GPS manufacturer for being given inaccurate directions? By now someone or other must have tried.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Tinker55
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Seriously ?
A lawsuit for (the lack of) map updates ?
I know that in the US there is much more of a claiming / blaming environment than in Europe but just to add some fuel to this discussion: do you have a contract stating that you are entitle to regular map updates? With my Garmin I do; it states that you will receive UP TO 3 updates per year (with the Lifetime contract)...
I wish you luck...

Old 07-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Do realize that your "made in the USA" product is made with parts that have been farmed out to the lowest bidder?

GPS should not be a substitute for common sense.

NaviExtras is not Harley Davidson.

Today's technology is only as good as the person who manages it.

HD takes nobody seriously.

GPS is a safety hazard, not a safety feature.

As long as you are paying for my new motorcycle so I qualify for your class action lawsuit and I have to do nothing, count me in.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Interesting because the maps that I use have never let me down or led me in the wrong direction no matter where I was.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,748 Likes on 6,193 Posts

My buddy said when his '38 Knuckle was made, none of the roads were paved, they were all uphill, and covered in snow. He said you're an old woman.

Quick Reply: Navigation System Issues