General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes ABS - Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:07 PM
JBCK727
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes ABS - Noise

I have a question regarding my 2014 Wide Glide. Since I have owned it (purchased new this year), the front brake makes a whiny noise when I use it. Nothing crazy, it just sounds like the ABS is working. Even if I just press lightly. I took it to the dealer, they rode it and they said there was nothing wrong and that is the way it sounds. So, I figured when I put the Vance & Hines pipes on it would make it less noticeable. It didn't.

Has anyone else had this and is this just something that sounds normal? I have not had a bike with ABS before so I am just not sure.

Thoughts?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:16 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,759 Likes on 6,200 Posts

When H-D came up with their system, they thought it meant Anything-But-Silent.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 PM
JBCK727
6th Gear

You may be right with that... There was a rattle that I could not explain until someone on this board said it was the gas cap and gave me a quick fix. But it annoyed the crap out of me until then.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by JBCK727
I have a question regarding my 2014 Wide Glide. Since I have owned it (purchased new this year), the front brake makes a whiny noise when I use it. Nothing crazy, it just sounds like the ABS is working. Even if I just press lightly. I took it to the dealer, they rode it and they said there was nothing wrong and that is the way it sounds. So, I figured when I put the Vance & Hines pipes on it would make it less noticeable. It didn't.

Has anyone else had this and is this just something that sounds normal? I have not had a bike with ABS before so I am just not sure.

Thoughts?
the abs doesn't make any sound until and unless you do something to make it kick in. until then, it's transparent.

what you are probably hearing is the brake pads on the rotors. I've noticed it when I had someone riding near me. at speed, if you hit the front brakes, it almost sounds like a cicada. I've heard it on mine too. I've checked several bikes, and they all do it. so I have to conclude, 'it's normal'

Old 07-20-2015, 06:44 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
the abs doesn't make any sound until and unless you do something to make it kick in. until then, it's transparent.

what you are probably hearing is the brake pads on the rotors. I've noticed it when I had someone riding near me. at speed, if you hit the front brakes, it almost sounds like a cicada. I've heard it on mine too. I've checked several bikes, and they all do it. so I have to conclude, 'it's normal'
^^^^^That's it.^^^^^

Old 07-20-2015, 06:54 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

The drilled rotors make a slight whining noise regardless what brand of bike or car they are on. Completely normal.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:58 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,172 Likes on 11,106 Posts

My front brake makes a frying pan, sizzling bacon sound. Normal.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 PM
Uboofer
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yummmmmm! Bacon!!!!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
The drilled rotors make a slight whining noise regardless what brand of bike or car they are on. Completely normal.

Totally normal. Something to do with the air passing through the holes in the rotors as they run through the pads I believe.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:34 PM
Niles H
Stage I

Hey there,
I just trade-in my 2011 FXDWG and bought a brand new 2016 FXDWG.
I have the same whining/buzzing noise while bike in motion. it gets louder when I apply breaks (F or R)!! and totally off when the bike is station. Again the noise sounds electrical BUZZ not mechanical! have you sort out the noise and what was the corrective action.
thanks

Quick Reply: Front Brakes ABS - Noise