General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine temperature sensor

Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Dcampri
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine temperature sensor

Has anyone experienced the P0117 code for an engine temperature sensor low voltage? Hot day with traffic, engine light went on and bike began to run a little rough at idle. The above code came up on running the diagnosis. Of course Harley dealership can't take the bike for a week. Thought of swapping out et sensor but thought better to leave it to the pros.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:00 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,528 Likes on 683 Posts

I had a rough idle/stalling issue when the bike was hot. I did not get any codes, but I did change out the engine temperature sensor. It took all of about 25 minutes (that includes gathering tools). If you have a service manual and basic skills and tools, it's an easy fix. I got my replacement sensor on line from Dennis Kirk. About 30 clams.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I have a Fuel Injected EVO that likes to eat engine temp sensors about every 20k miles. If the code says the ETI is bad, I would just buy another and replace it. It's an easy 1 beer fix on my Road King.

The pros are gonna charge you about 1-2 hours labor to do the job. You could get quite a few lap dances for that coin.

carl

Old 04-27-2019, 08:33 PM
ozzie21
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree. Just change the sensor. They only cost around $30-$40 and should only take a few minutes to change. The dealer will charge you at least 1 hour labor and the price of the sensor. I would guess they'd charge you also some minimum to hook your bike up to the ET (Electronic Technician). And since they can't take your bike for another week it sounds like the best course of action.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:36 PM
ozzie21
Advanced

I had an issue this year with both my engine temperature sensor and my TMAP sensor. My bike when cold would start OK and seem to idle OK but within a few minutes of getting on the road it would start running really rough, would not idle and often just shut down and also when running it would hunt with RPM surging high then low and high and shut down. I was getting error codes P0117, P0118 & P0113. The P0117 & P0118 have to do with the engine temperature sensor and the P0113 is related to the TMAP sensor. I changed my engine temperature sensor and went for a test ride and it was still acting up. I checked my error codes. No more P0117 and P0118 error code but I still had the P0113 code (TMAP sensor). I checked under the wiring looms and found one of the 3-way soldered connections where one of the wires branched off to the TMAP sensor had vibrated and broken off at the wire going to the TMAP sensor. I added a short length of wire and soldered everything back and shrink tubing all the bare connections. I already had a new TMAP sensor so I swapped out the old one for this new Fueling TMAP sensor. The old TMAP sensor was likely OK but being in there for 8 years I figured may as well change it. Went out for another test ride and now my 120R Trask Turbo FLHX is back to running smooth and strong like it always did. And no more error codes. I see there's also a thread here about TMAP sensors. I'm going to post most of this text there with a couple of pics.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzie21
I had an issue this year with both my engine temperature sensor and my TMAP sensor. My bike when cold would start OK and seem to idle OK but within a few minutes of getting on the road it would start running really rough, would not idle and often just shut down and also when running it would hunt with RPM surging high then low and high and shut down. I was getting error codes P0117, P0118 & P0113. The P0117 & P0118 have to do with the engine temperature sensor and the P0113 is related to the TMAP sensor. I changed my engine temperature sensor and went for a test ride and it was still acting up. I checked my error codes. No more P0117 and P0118 error code but I still had the P0113 code (TMAP sensor). I checked under the wiring looms and found one of the 3-way soldered connections where one of the wires branched off to the TMAP sensor had vibrated and broken off at the wire going to the TMAP sensor. I added a short length of wire and soldered everything back and shrink tubing all the bare connections. I already had a new TMAP sensor so I swapped out the old one for this new Fueling TMAP sensor. The old TMAP sensor was likely OK but being in there for 8 years I figured may as well change it. Went out for another test ride and now my 120R Trask Turbo FLHX is back to running smooth and strong like it always did. And no more error codes. I see there's also a thread here about TMAP sensors. I'm going to post most of this text there with a couple of pics.
Good on you for your successful efforts but...

OMG,

Gimme a carbed Shovel over this crap!

Old 05-02-2019, 10:29 PM
ozzie21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jehu
Good on you for your successful efforts but...

OMG,

Gimme a carbed Shovel over this crap!
I know what you mean. I've got a '74 FXE also..... You've got to get your head into a different space (put a different hat on as they say) going from one to the other when you're troubleshooting.

The following users liked this post:
1Fordman (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 PM
1Fordman
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

Ozzie71, Your 74 FXE has got to be one of the most awesome shovels on the planet! I'm building a 72 FX into an FXE, if it's half as nice as yours, will be a happy camper.