General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Windshields in the rain

I just bought a windshield off a forum member for my 2015 Iron and I was wondering what visibility is like looking through the windshield when it is raining? Also does a windshield keep you relatively dry? I've only had sportbikes before my Harley so I'm not really sure what a "real" windshield is like.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

If it is clean and tall enough it will help to keep the drops from smacking you in the face and they will roll off the top and over your head. In reality it helps with the pain of getting pelted but you still get wet. Just not quite as bad.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Yeah I figured I would still be getting pretty wet either way... what about visibility? Are you able to see through the windshield easily? Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:45 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

never look through a windshield on a bike always set the height so you just see over it .
many threads on this , and how to cut them down if too tall

Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

I have friends with Empire State building windshields. You know the kind that won't make it through a bank drive through. When we ride in the rain they are always trying to look over or around because they didn't keep it clean enough for the water to disperse. If you use something like RainX the water will run off quickly allowing you to see through it. Downside is that the water runs off quickly usually to the top and then hits you in the head. So a toss up there. I run mine at about lip to hose height and look over it. For light rain I can duck an inch but for heavier stuff I get out my full face helmet and ride on.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

and you will find out in non rain they work good at smashing bugs

Old 07-21-2015, 03:53 PM
The Wizard
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have difficulty seeing through the windshield in the rain ... you aren't going fast enough:-). A little faster and the drops rapidly streak right off.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Thanks heybaylor, I never knew you were supposed to always see over it. Pretty glad you mentioned that because I would probably have only looked through the windshield and not over it. I guess I'll try to do some more research on this. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by heybaylor
never look through a windshield on a bike always set the height so you just see over it .
many threads on this , and how to cut them down if too tall

The assumption is that rain will keep it clean, but that is not the case. It will get dirt and grime which makes for poor visibility. The top of the windshield should end at your nose so you can see just over it.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Thanks cprhed, I was just about to try and figure out the best place to have it set. I guess I will try it out the way you have it and see how it works for me. I definitely don't want to have trouble seeing in the rain! Especially with all the bad drivers around here lol

Quick Reply: Windshields in the rain