General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with people who can't drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM
willy215
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with people who can't drive

I know this has probably been discussed somewhere on here, so let me apologize ahead of time. Other than slow down and let the bad/angry/stupid drivers get some distance ahead of you, what are the preferred methods of dealing with tailgaters, people who come in to your lane/pull out in front of you, and generally bad drivers?

Today, while in relatively heavy traffic, there was a guy who kept riding about 15ft behind me (close enough I could have read his license plate through my mirror if it wouldn't vibrate so much) at 65mph along side an 18 wheeler. I slowed to get some distance between me and the car in front of me and he kept creeping up, so of course I flipped him off. He then cut through traffic until he got up next to me, acted like he was fumbling through his console and pulled out his hand and made a shooting motion at me. This really pissed me off so I invited him to pull over, he declined and sped off smiling.

I know I could have handled the situation better, so how would you guys have handled it?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Motorcycles will always lose when picking road rage fights with cagers..slowing down or brake checking a tailgater was wrong. Flipping him off was also wrong. Just speed up and get away from him.
Just last week a Reno rider was killed picking a road rage fight with a subaru wrx. The driver just pinballed the rider into the shoulder. Rider was going to work as a correctional officer in Susanville. Cage still not found.

Last edited by upflying; 07-21-2015 at 05:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jackalsilva (04-15-2016)
Old 07-21-2015, 05:47 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Just today I had a guy try passing me on the right hand side, on a single lane road. A kid in a new sportscar. He looked at me like he expected ME to move over and let him pass. I dropped a gear, sped up, and left him behind. Someone like that, I dont need near me.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:51 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

E = MV2/2. M = mass, so a motorcycle will ALWAYS lose to a cage. Suck it up and move on, or follow the SOB to his/her destination and kick their @$$.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We loose 99.99% of the time. Move over keep your wits about you. Get a Tag #. Hunt him/it down. Everyone goes to the 7-11 at night.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

On one lane roads, I generally ride in the right side of the lane, in case a group of oncoming cars and one wants to pass the car in front of them, I HOPE they can see me before they pull around.

If I feel like a car behind me would like to go around and they're a decent distance, I'll wave them around, staying in the right side. Quiet a few times, they'll flash their hazards at me, to thank me. It's better than the "go slow, here's my middle finger" gimmick.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:42 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Throttle is your friend use it heavily when idiots approach.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Basically, I ride like everybody is trying to kill me and I do what I have to do to try and not make their day.

The following users liked this post:
jackalsilva (04-15-2016)
Old 07-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Philphine
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

about the only thing i do, and the situation/traffic has to be right anyway to do it, is try to find a crack in traffic i know i can get through easily, but they can't. like the gap bettween two cars in different lanes. then some quick acceleration and leave them stuck in slower traffic.

it's one time that being on a smaller vehicle works to your advantage, but usually just avoiding them in whatever way is possible is best.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

If I am reading your post correctly you were cruising alongside a semi at 65 mph. That is really stupid. If a recap comes off you'll be dead. Pass semis WOT, then slow down.
He may have been doing you a favor by trying to get you to speed up. So maybe he was a road rage idiot, but maybe he was trying to educate you.
When I was young, I used to flip people off, but do it to the wrong person and you may get shot.
Let me know if I misinterpreted your post.

Quick Reply: Dealing with people who can't drive