General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine idle question

Old 07-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Uboofer
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Engine idle question

Been noticing lately a weird engine idle issue on my scoot. When I am coming up to a stop, about 100-150 feet before the stop, I let the throttle go back to idle, pull in the clutch, and before I stop I put it in first gear (clutch still pulled in). It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I do this instead of the engine going to it's normal engine idle speed, it hovers about 150-200rpm above idle and the engine shakes pretty good until I have stopped for a few seconds then it goes back to normal engine idle speed. This has even happened while slowing down to make a right turn. It's almost the same feeling you would get when you fire up the engine for the first time in the day.

Thinking about bringing into the shop and getting their opinion but figured I would throw it here first. Any have a idea what the cause could be?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I know what you are talking about here. Try checking to see if your butterfly is completely closing when you return the throttle to closed position and if it is then call V&H customer svc and inform them of this. I think it may have something to do with auto update when you hook the FP3 back up to your bike after the intial flash or maybe a partial autotune session. You can also try reflashing the original tune from V&H after your stage 1 upgrade. If this all fails then call V&H customer svc and let them know. These tunes they send us are based on the low humidity low altitude environment out in California and they should be able to make a suggestion that may help you out. Input from FP3 users like you can help not only you but everyone using the FP3. Keep us posted about this, as I use the FP3 myself. If you call them up and cant find an answer then I will call them up about this too. Maybe we can help ourselves out here. I think the FP3 is a fine product, but it cannot have been programmed for al conditions 100% so give em a chance to add to the data base.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

My 07 SG had a high idle problem and I ignored it until one day coming down the off ramp of I-85 it gained RPM's each time I down shifted until I was near red line pulling into Tilleys HD in Salisbury NC. Scariest damn thing that ever happened to me on a bike, felt like it was possessed and wanted to throw me and take off alone.

Get it checked out or you could end up like me.

BTW: the mechs said my idle set screw had backed out causing it to idle up instead of down.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:59 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Might be a dirty IAC. Takes like 5 min to clean. Can't hurt, as long as you stuff a clean rag in the TB.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Uboofer
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Took a trip today and the engine idle issue kept occurring. During one of our stop I decided to try reflashing the ECM and doing a auto-tune. It seemed much better. I would like to give it a few trips before I call it fixed but so far so good.

FYI There is a new firmware for the FP3. Date is July 1st.