General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was your experience with a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Beanznrice
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default What was your experience with a flat?

Had my second flat on a motorcycle today. She went squirrelly on me and I wasn't sure what was going on at first. Was able to pull over safely (we were on I35 in moderate traffic)

I couldn't push it any further for fear of popping the bead and tearing up the rim. I could see the nail but could do nothing about it. I'll be looking into a plug kit and small pump to carry on longer trips.

So, has this happened to you? Worse? Does anyone carry tools for such an emergency? I'd appreciate any tips on what kind of stuff you've tried and tested.

Ride safe

Last edited by Beanznrice; 07-26-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a custom chopper and got a front flat. 20 miles before I hit a pot hole and did not know it had bent the rim. Was rolling 70mph and leaned to change lanes. Bike leaned then stood abruptly back up; then the wobble started. Slowed down fairly quick and got it safely to the shoulder. What made it worse is that the chopper was so low and the shoulder was banked to the guard rail the bike would not lean on the kickstand. So I had to sit on the guardrail for over 2 hours, keeping the bike from falling over, until I got ahold of someone to come get me. I stared at a bent $1000 rim for 2 hours talking to myself saying how much of a piece of **** the bike was.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Tyrel M. Hanson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What was your experience with a flat?

Luckily, I've never had a flat while riding and never had a blowout either. I've been lucky (knock on wood) that my two flats were after I came back out to get on the bike.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Beanznrice
Advanced

Brihvac: Man!! That was a nightmare. I can relate to the bad talk, though. But I was cussin myself for not being a bit more prepared.

But you, on a front flat, I'm amazed it wasn't wild and hard to manage. I'd have thought that a chopper would be uncontrollable on a flat at those speeds.

Last edited by Beanznrice; 07-26-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Bike week Daytona 2015.....12am riding back to hotel with a horrible buzz. Ok I may have been drunk. Right in front of the speedway. Kept riding until I got to the hotel. Nothing I could have done. If it wasn't for the three Canadians trying to help me out. I would have been sleeping by 12:05!

Nightmare city!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Beanznrice
Brihvac: Man!! That was a nightmare. I can relate to the bad talk, though. But I was cussin myself for not being a bit more prepared.

But you, on a front flat, I'm amazed it wasn't wild and hard to manage. I'd have thought that a chopper would be uncontrollable on a flat at those speeds.
Oh it was hard to manage. Its surprising I didn't go down. I slowed down before the major wobbling started and kept the bike going straight until I was crawling then turned onto the shoulder. I was also worried about the small gravel and debris on the shoulder. There was not much traffic thank God. I admit I was scared.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:59 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,138 Likes on 11,099 Posts

I was getting on to go to work and discovered a darn tire flat. I was late for work.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Beanznrice
Advanced

Upflying: Oh my God!! Did you live?!?! Were there many more fatalities??

Found something that looks promising. Amazon.com: Pocket Tire Plugger & Co2 Inflation System: Automotive

jt metal: I think you owe a bit of gratitude to a few Canadians... They may have saved your butt that night. But yes, nightmare!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-27-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:32 PM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

check this kit out...

http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/

I have one but have never had to use it.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,795 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Knock on wood, I have ditched the spoked wheels for tubeless wheels. Also carry a plugging kit and a small air compressor/pump on the bike.

Quick Reply: What was your experience with a flat?