General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What helmet is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 AM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What helmet is this?

Can you help me find out what helmet this is?

My wife is getting her license soon and this helmet would look great on her.

I cannot make out the grand from the picture.

Could you help me find out what brand that is?

Thanks
Rex

Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I would suggest getting one with a visor and vents unless style is your only consideration. It will be a lot more comfortable, especially in the summer, and quieter as well. The old school FF helmets look great if you like the nostalgic look but are not that comfortable without cooling vents on the top, back and front to force in fresh cool air and exhaust hot humid air from the helmet. Modern FF helmets have inside channels to flow cooling air over the top of the head inside the helmet and gently draft fresh air over the face with the sealed visor down but keep out wind noise. They are very comfortable on the highway in the heat for this reason. You'd be giving up 40 years of advancement in FF helmet design with an old school design. Check out Bell, Shoei and Icon among others. Without a visor it will also be uncomfortable in cooler weather and if you do add a visor will be stuffy and fog up without the fresh air vents. Googles are uncomfortable in the heat (they block cooling air to the face) as well as the rain and cold (they let cold air blast into the helmet unlike a visor). Although a modern FF helmet has a sealed visor they have directed air flow through them driven by the pressurized vents on the front and top of the helmet and exhausted through the rear vents. If you remove the helmet liner in a modern FF helmet you will see air channels molded in the foam to carry air to and from the vents. That said, I sometimes crack my visor a bit, at lower city speeds, to let in even more air, in the heat. At highway speeds the vents are all you need to keep enough air flowing even at the hottest temperatures. Helmet price also is a factor in how well a helmet vents, some of the really cheap ones don't vent that well. My experience is more recent Bell, Shoei and Aria helmets vent exceptionally well.

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-27-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:20 AM
RexD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fat_tony
I would suggest getting one with a visor and vents unless style is your only consideration. It will be a lot more comfortable, especially in the summer, and quieter as well. The old school FF helmets look great if you like the nostalgic look but are not that comfortable without cooling vents on the top, back and front to force in fresh cool air and exhaust hot cool humid air from the helmet. Modern FF helmets have inside channels to flow cooling air over the top of the head inside the helmet and gently draft fresh air over the face with the sealed visor down but keep out wind noise. They are very comfortable on the highway in the heat for this reason. You'd be giving up 40 years of advancement in FF helmet design with an old school design. Check out Bell, Shoei and Icon among others. Without a visor it will also be uncomfortable in cooler weather and if you do add a visor will be stuffy and fog up without the fresh air vents.
Thanks for the input. She's getting two helmets. One for riding on longer trips and one for looking her best ; )

The helmet in the picture would fit perfectly in the latter category. I just cannot figure out who makes it.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

If your wife is worried about how she looks riding a motorcycle, then why is she bothering with a helmet at all?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:50 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Biltwell Gringo is similar in design.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:39 AM
RexD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DonN
Biltwell Gringo is similar in design.
The biltwell is topping the list right now. But if I can find the one in the picture, it will most probably take pole position in the helmet looks shootout for her ; )

Old 07-27-2015, 07:08 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

The smoother the helmet, less vents, visors, etc., the less wind noise. Although in AZ I would prefer a vented lid, my quietest and most comfy is my Bell 500. They also make a retro FF.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/

Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, looks like a biltwell gringo.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 AM
KSJ08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RexD
Can you help me find out what helmet this is?

My wife is getting her license soon and this helmet would look great on her.

I cannot make out the grand from the picture.

Could you help me find out what brand that is?

Thanks
Rex
there's a helmet in the picture

Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

My first thought was Bell Bullit. Looking at the side by side picture below, looks more like the gringo

Quick Reply: What helmet is this?