General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove paint to make stock controls fit new bars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 AM
indiablue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove paint to make stock controls fit new bars?

Rebuilding the softail for the third time after a guy hit and knocked it over at work. Everything is going fine but after installing new 19" apes stock controls don't fit. Need to tighten another 1mm or so to clamp together. My question is: has anyone else had to remove the paint on new bars in order to install the stock controls? The bars are from J&P 19" apes painted black. Just thought I'd ask before I strip the paint from the control area. For what it's worth the grips are snug but slide right on.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:38 AM
indiablue
Cruiser

Nevermind. I figured out the issue.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

wires pinched?

Old 07-30-2015, 02:28 AM
indiablue
Cruiser

No the wires weren't pinched. Paint was a bit thicker than expected but not so much as to require removal. The design of the of the controls requires a bit of a gap just to enable them to clamp on the bars tightly and not rotate. if the controls actually met up "face to face" they would be able to move freely. I knew this but it just seemed that they should be tighter together. I just needed to step back a bit and think more about function rather then form.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,832 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Atta boy you got it , wait till you try some aftermarket chromed control housing were the plating is so thick they won't seat at all then it's time to get the dremel tool out and play.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:34 AM
indiablue
Cruiser

Twisted: In the past 4 years I've rebuilt the same bike 3 times. Due to a deer, a patch of diesel, and a dipshit at work. Fortunately with nothing worse than some road rash and a dislocated big toe. Each time took me off the bike for about a month. So I bought a back up eglide with a sidecar.
During the last rebuild I had to break out an angle grinder on three different parts that were "designed" to fit the stock application. Most required me to remove about a 1/4 inch of steel. I chalk that B S up to what my Dad called Taiwan Ted Syndrome.
Some people get all pissed off and post rants etc about pour quality when they buy or install some crap they found on the internet and expect some kind of result/response in these forums.
I choose to be realist and lower my expectations and hope for the best. From what little I know of you are a solid guy. If I'm ever in the Niles Canyon area, wherever that is, I hope to get a closer look at that shovel.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:23 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,509 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by indiablue
Twisted: In the past 4 years I've rebuilt the same bike 3 times. Due to a deer, a patch of diesel, and a dipshit at work. Fortunately with nothing worse than some road rash and a dislocated big toe. Each time took me off the bike for about a month. So I bought a back up eglide with a sidecar.
During the last rebuild I had to break out an angle grinder on three different parts that were "designed" to fit the stock application. Most required me to remove about a 1/4 inch of steel. I chalk that B S up to what my Dad called Taiwan Ted Syndrome.
Some people get all pissed off and post rants etc about pour quality when they buy or install some crap they found on the internet and expect some kind of result/response in these forums.
I choose to be realist
and lower my expectations and hope for the best. From what little I know of you are a solid guy. If I'm ever in the Niles Canyon area, wherever that is, I hope to get a closer look at that shovel.

X1000 on that.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,832 Likes on 17,453 Posts

I choose to be realist and lower my expectations and hope for the best
That right there will take you a long way in life particularly when dealing with mods or one off changes to your sled , learned a long time ago if it doesn't fit you aren't trying hard enough just have to be smarter than the steel is all.