General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would be Considered Fair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Default What Would be Considered Fair?

You've pulled new parts off your bike that are 30 days old and put them up for sale. What would you condsider to be fair in the way of a discounted price 15; 20; 25 or 30% off? Parts are in like-new condition!

I forgot to mention that you've also offered to ship for free in the lower 48 and eat the 3% that PayPal charges for the privilege of using their service.

Lobo

Old 07-28-2015, 09:30 AM
mk2wilson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you have to consider also is demand. How many other people took the exact same parts off their brand new bike?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 AM
motoboy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be happy to get a C note for my stock exhaust. It's doing me no good sitting in my garage.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:36 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,171 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Stock, new bike, part take offs are worth 10% of retail.
I'd keep the stuff for if and when you sell the bike. Stock bikes are worth more and the next owner might want the stuff.

Last edited by upflying; 07-28-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:47 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry I should have been more specific on the parts that I removed off my former bike just prior to trading it in......with the stock parts on it.

I'm referring to Edge Cut and Burst Collection parts that I purchased and installed a month prior to making the decision to trade in on a 15 FLHR!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

What they may be worth and what one might pay is something to consider.
Personally, my figure for good used parts, is 50% retail. While that might seem harsh, the thing that must be considered is the "PITA" (pain in the a$$) factor.
When one buys new, they can used a credit card and have a reasonable assurance that the part is perfect and if it isn't correct, can get it exchanged. It also gets shipped out almost immediately in most cases.
When buying used stuff from an individual, a few extra hoops have to be jumped through. Do you take a CC? Will the packaging prevent damage in shipping? Can it be returned if it isn't right?
All those things affect what the price should be.
New take-offs.....if it were me, I'd take Upflying's advice and keep 'em for when you sell the bike. I'd also be inclined to pay more for a stock bike than one that has been modified.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

It varies, but I have a storage room full of stock parts I pulled off of brand new bikes and most of it I have trouble giving it away. I have wheels, lower forks, exhaust system, some controls, cables, and other things that I pretty much can't give away. I just listed some other marketable items in the for sale section and along with those I basically stated that if someone will pay the shipping I will give them the wheel. At one Time I had both the front wheel and rear wheel listed on Craig's List and someone bought the rear wheel basically for the tire. That way they didn't have to mount it, they just pulled the original wheel off and stuck mine in its place.

Every once in a while I'll run across someone who took the same part off of their bike and either lost it, threw it away, or sold it, and now the want to sell the bikes without the aftermarket items (since they don't add value) and so they are looking for stock replacements. Other than that I haven't seen much of a market for them.

This is just me be 15, 20, 25, 30% off is pie in the sky. In my limited experience I would think you would be lucky to get 20% or 30%. All I can say is good luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,171 Likes on 11,106 Posts

If you have some imagination, you could always make metal sculptures from your unused parts.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Put the stuff on eBay with no reserve and clear it out.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Since a limited number of sales are available to you with no fee per month, use Ebay with it's tremendous exposure.

Put them on slightly lower than what someone can buy them at a dealer. Include free shipping of course. Just factor that into your ask if you expect a certain amount. Use buy it now for 30 days. That's 30 days of free advertisement. Check the accept offer box.

Be patient and lower it a little weekly but watch the views and watching. They will tell you when it's getting ready to go.

Harley stuff will sell. Cleaned out everything. Up to 400 items now. When I buy something I really want that is an auction, I always submit one bid slightly lower than what it would cost me new and submit it 2-3 seconds before the end. May submit a low bid in to lock seller early. However, never submit a bid early with a maximum. Someone will just come along and beat you by a $1.00 or just run it up.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-28-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: What Would be Considered Fair?