General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Primary Screw Hole

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Tricon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Primary Screw Hole

Well you get what you pay for. My cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench didn't click and I ended up stripping the primary screw hole during my 1k service.

The bolt itself looks fine, though it could use a new ring.

What's the best fix for this to get it back to torque?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Drain plug or derby screw?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Tricon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Drain plug or derby screw?
Drain plug.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

It's hard to say with out actually seeing it, but maybe tap it out and get a bigger plug. Whatever you do is gonna be jerry rigged unless you replace the primary cover. Did you torque it to inch lbs or foot pounds? Might want to get a factory service manual. Sucks to have a new bike and already f ed it up. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Drill and tap it for a larger bolt. There is no pressure so a good straight hole and a the proper gasket and your good to go. Any auto parts store has replacements and the proper taps.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

If you pulled the threads right out of the cover waiting for the wrench to click, what you need is to disassemble and reassemble a few lawn mowers or something and learn how to use your tools and get a sense of what things feel like when you use them.

What's the torque spec on that plug? Probably something like 12 in-lbs or so. Which is to say, next to nothing. I do mine with a T-handle allen wrench. Just get it reasonably snug with one hand and you are good to go. Dollars to donuts you had the wrench set to ft-lbs.

Torque specs on drain plugs really don't matter. Mechanically, bolts (unlike plugs) are the same thing as springs. Torque specs for heavy applications (like cylinder studs) matter because you are inducing the correct amount of stretch in the "spring", which translates into the correct amount of force. With a drain plug, you just want to keep it from falling out. There is no critical amount of pre-stretch requiring precise torque.

To solve your new problem, you might get away with using a tap to clean the current threads. Failing that, drill and re-tap the hole. IIRC, those are 3/8" from the factory. Drill and tap for a 1/2" and you're set. Just take it easy putting the new one in!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 860 Likes on 482 Posts

Get a self tapping oversized drain plug or replace the case.

Education can be very expensive!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Also maybe a pipe tap and plug with some Teflon tape?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
If you pulled the threads right out of the cover waiting for the wrench to click, what you need is to disassemble and reassemble a few lawn mowers or something and learn how to use your tools and get a sense of what things feel like when you use them.

What's the torque spec on that plug? Probably something like 12 in-lbs or so. Which is to say, next to nothing. I do mine with a T-handle allen wrench. Just get it reasonably snug with one hand and you are good to go. Dollars to donuts you had the wrench set to ft-lbs.

Torque specs on drain plugs really don't matter. Mechanically, bolts (unlike plugs) are the same thing as springs. Torque specs for heavy applications (like cylinder studs) matter because you are inducing the correct amount of stretch in the "spring", which translates into the correct amount of force. With a drain plug, you just want to keep it from falling out. There is no critical amount of pre-stretch requiring precise torque.

To solve your new problem, you might get away with using a tap to clean the current threads. Failing that, drill and re-tap the hole. IIRC, those are 3/8" from the factory. Drill and tap for a 1/2" and you're set. Just take it easy putting the new one in!
14-21 ft/lbs for big twin and 14-30 ft/lbs for sportster according to my service manuals. I'd think they'd be less also.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
14-21 ft/lbs for big twin and 14-30 ft/lbs for sportster according to my service manuals. I'd think they'd be less also.
For a steel plug going into an aluminum case?

No way. That has to be a misprint.

Quick Reply: Stripped Primary Screw Hole