General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with a Softtail or dyna for my wife, is one better than the other?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Touring with a Softtail or dyna for my wife, is one better than the other?

We are considering a breakout or a dyna switchback for my wife. She currently rides a Suzuki boulevard M50, and we have been taking longer trips, and she is looking for more comfort. We are planning to ride to sturgis from PA in 2017.

I had her try my glide, and she can handle it but feels it would be too heavy for her to maneuver in parking lots, and to back in into spaces. Also had her try a new street glide, thinking the new frame might make things easier, but it didn't.

She really likes the breakout, looks and seating position but we haven found a dealer that will let her ride one. She is not as crazy about the switchback in the looks dept, but either will be easier to handle than a touring chassis.

What do you think would be better for good for a cross county journey?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 PM
el_diablo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the stock fender on the breakout She will definitely have a wet back in the rain. My brother has one. Great bike otherwise. I rode my 07 nighttrain all over the place before I retired it to local runs and bought the streetglide. The Nighttrain was a killer bike for everything and just sails smootly down the road. Much smoother than my streetglide but without the creature comforts. Softails kick ***.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

How tall is she? I'm 5'7" and love my Road King. Hubby bought me a Clearview vented shield for Christmas--no head buffeting, no heavy fairing like a Street Glide and it handles like a dream on the highway and around town. Of course I've had it 13 years now and I am plenty used to it. Why not a Road King--it's the switchback's big brother.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 PM
toddhowudoing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife rides a softail slim, shes 5'4, we put bags on it and had a fairing put on it at thunderbeach spring rally and she loves it.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:40 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

The Breakout is hands down the looker and you can tour on any bike. That said, the Switchback is already set up for the ride.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by toddhowudoing
My wife rides a softail slim, shes 5'4, we put bags on it and had a fairing put on it at thunderbeach spring rally and she loves it.
I didn't even know about this model until just a few months ago. Really lets a short legged smurf like myself put my feet down. I'd love to be able to "slim" my Road King primary like they did with this model. Makes a very big difference.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:42 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I know it's not one that you asked about but my vote would be for a Heritage or a Deluxe. Very comfy ride.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-30-2015, 06:45 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Touring with a Softtail or dyna for my wife, is one better than the other?

Switchback. My friend's wife just got one after riding a Yamaha V-Star for several years... Loves it. My dealer put an aftermarket batwing (Memphis shades) on one sitting in showroom and bike had a baby street glide look to it.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,205 Posts

To answer the question - The switchback..

My .02 - as stated, why not a Heritage (I owned one) or a RK(I Have one)..
My .03 - Not so sure about the Breakout..

Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Two words - Cruise Control.

Try a Road King. Compared to a Street Glide, its easier to handle becuase there's no fairing on the forks, and its just as low as a Street Glide.

Quick Reply: Touring with a Softtail or dyna for my wife, is one better than the other?