General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't do it!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 PM
streg2
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Don't do it!!

While driving my semi west bound on i90 getting close to Madison Wi. and right before where i94 merges in. Guess what one of our fellow Harley riders decides to do?
Well he thinks he can fit between me and the vehicle in front of me, well yes he can fit there is several car lengths available but he just took my stopping distance away. And low and behold as soon as he got in there everybody started jamming on the brakes. He was a shittin looking in the mirrors to see if I was going to get him and I just about did!!
Good thing 1 of us was paying attention or I would have. He allowed himself to get trapped in with no where to go. After things got calmed down and everyone was back up to speed I got up beside him and he would not look up at me lol he knew he messed up but couldn't say he was sorry. Hell he was almost the sorry one.
Enough said please give trucks the space they need and don't cut them off.
O and for you that are going to reply it would have been my fault for killing the bike rider and not stopping in the assured clear distance, my dash cam does not lie.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Don't do it!!

Good thing you were paying attention. And, call it square - you've probably slowed down the fast lane at 50 in a 70 zone simply because you wanted to pass another truck doing 55 in the right lane.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Why didn't you let off the throttle the moment you realized that your fellow Harley rider was going to merge in front of you?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:44 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Really? It's up to the person merging to make sure they have enough room to safely move in. Why are you making a big truck slow down and adjust it's speed for some inconsiderate moron? Just cuz they're on a Harley? What if he's on a Honda?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by streg2
While driving my semi west bound on i90 getting close to Madison Wi. and right before where i94 merges in. Guess what one of our fellow Harley riders decides to do?
Well he thinks he can fit between me and the vehicle in front of me, well yes he can fit there is several car lengths available but he just took my stopping distance away. And low and behold as soon as he got in there everybody started jamming on the brakes. He was a shittin looking in the mirrors to see if I was going to get him and I just about did!!
Good thing 1 of us was paying attention or I would have. He allowed himself to get trapped in with no where to go. After things got calmed down and everyone was back up to speed I got up beside him and he would not look up at me lol he knew he messed up but couldn't say he was sorry. Hell he was almost the sorry one.
O and for you that are going to reply it would have been my fault for killing the bike rider and not stopping in the assured clear distance, my dash cam does not lie.
Nicely done, sir.

I appreciate truck drivers on the road. They are professionals who do more driving in two weeks than most drivers do in a year. Their livelihood depends on being safe. I'd far rather share the road with professional drivers than a bunch of distracted, inattentive amateurs.

I see the situation you described all the time. A truck driver maintains a safe distance, and one (or more) amateurs takes it as an opportunity to jump in front of them, completely removing the necessary stopping distance if things slow down.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM
streg2
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Next in line, oh I did!! I went from gas pedal to smokin the brakes. It all happened that fast. The point I'm trying to make is he took my stopping distance away!! I don't think most people have any clue what running a 80,000 lb vehicle feels like. Aaaaa sorry we can't stop on a dime.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I stay away from trucks, no matter where they are. In front of me, I can't see ahead of them. On the sides, tires may blow out. Behind me, that stopping thing.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:03 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe that will teach the moron how to read traffic or pick a better lane position. I dont have any sorrow for idiots trying for the Darwin

Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Pretty hairy scenario. Experience is a great teacher. Sometimes the lesson gets a person killed, and it is up to others to learn from those mistakes. Fortunately for our intrepid rider, this lesson only cost him a trip to the laundromat to wash his soiled drawers. Hopefully he will apply his newly acquired education to future rides!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:14 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by streg2

I agree with almost everything you said, but dash cam or not if you would have hit him it would have been your fault.

Quick Reply: Don't do it!!