General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer tie down issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:59 PM
flhking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer tie down issues

i have a 2 bike all aluminum open trailer. it has 3 d-rings in the front. no problems. it has 3 d-rings in the back and the tie downs i bought from lowes loosen up as i'm travelling down the road. do i need to get better tie downs, or is there another issue?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get better tie downs...I only use Ancras. But you still need to check them now and then, especially in the rain. Have trailered race bikes thousands of miles with no problems. Never trust your $20K bike to $10 tie downs.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Get the ratchet type tie-downs. The ones with the soft loop ends. Not that much more money than the cheap ones and they were probably hanging right next to the cheapest ones available that you bought. I have these.
Amazon.com: Steadymate 15470 Cinchtite 6 Tie-Down Strap: Automotive Amazon.com: Steadymate 15470 Cinchtite 6 Tie-Down Strap: Automotive

Dan

Last edited by Krustee; 07-30-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I have PowerTyes 2" Big Daddys and even they lossen initially, but I always load then take a short ride to get gas or whatever.
When I get back I ratchet another pull and the bike doesn't move until I unhook it.

That being said, I absolutely love the PowerTyes.

http://powertye.com/store/index.php?...w&product_id=1

If you don't have time to for online ordering go get the Harley soft ties.
Buy 2 for each bike and then use the cheaper ones as insurance.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-30-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:24 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I have PowerTyes 2" Big Daddys and even they lossen initially, but I always load then take a short ride to get gas or whatever.
When I get back I ratchet another pull and the bike doesn't move until I unhook it.

That being said, I absolutely love the PowerTyes.

http://powertye.com/store/index.php?...w&product_id=1

If you don't have time to for online ordering go get the Harley soft ties.
Buy 2 for each bike and then use the cheaper ones as insurance.
Same here, I put an extra strap in the front just snugged up as insurance

Old 07-31-2015, 04:51 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Are you tying down above or below the suspension? If you're tying down above the suspension, every time you hit a bump, your bikes' suspensions will compress a little bit too, and that can affect your tie downs.

It's better to try tying down without compressing the suspension for a couple reasons.

First, it's hard on the bike's suspension to be compressed like that for extended periods of time.

Second, when you tie down below the suspension, you are allowing the bike's suspension to do what it's designed to do - absorb bumps.

And yes, do use quality tie downs.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:37 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Are you tying down above or below the suspension? If you're tying down above the suspension, every time you hit a bump, your bikes' suspensions will compress a little bit too, and that can affect your tie downs.

It's better to try tying down without compressing the suspension for a couple reasons.

First, it's hard on the bike's suspension to be compressed like that for extended periods of time.

Second, when you tie down below the suspension, you are allowing the bike's suspension to do what it's designed to do - absorb bumps.

And yes, do use quality tie downs.

EXACTLY!!!!!

I tie mine down pretty snug in the front, secure the front tire with a chock or strap so the bike can't roll, and go with. Rarely even tie the rear down, never lost a bike yet.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:19 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I use regular old Ancra tie downs but I always make a "half hitch" with the tail end of the strap just below the clamp. They never come loose.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:22 PM
fatbobsd
Intermediate

I bought a 5x10 foot Aluminum trailer and mounted the lock n load system on it. I couldnt be happier. drive the bike up into the front wheel chock and put a strap over the wheel. Then take the two self adjusting straps, hook to the shock mounts and drive without worry. It works great

Old 08-20-2015, 07:22 AM
flhking
6th Gear

thanks for the feedback. i was tying down above the suspension in the rear. i will see about getting down below the next time.

Quick Reply: trailer tie down issues