General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar for carrying things?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 PM
erhodes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sissy bar for carrying things?

Ok, so I am looking at finding something to carry some things in for longer trips. I looked at getting some saddle bags but I really don't like the look of them on my bike, have an 08 dyna super glide. I started looking at getting a sissy bar instead since I can carry everything I need in my medium ruck but it kills my back after a while if I just wear it. I found a guy that does some custom sissy bars but am wondering what everyone else uses and if you think it would work for attaching things to. Saw some of the standard sissy bars with luggage racks on them and while they would probably work I'm not sure if I like the look of them either.

Here is one of the examples of the custom sissy bar that I am looking at.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-3-4-harley...824715&vxp=mtr

Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a custom sissy bar my DH made that's basically that same shape. Like you, I don't care for bags except for storage on long trips. I have a couple of different size bags that I use frequently, that have straps that fit over the sissy bar. There are additional straps I wraps around the tail lights for stability on the larger one.

The one I use the most is the Deluxe Roll Bag from Saddlemen. The bag sits between the sissy bar and the backrest.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the same guy on ebay and was considering one for the same thing, I have a backpack that fits over a sissy bar....ryan

Old 07-31-2015, 07:14 PM
erhodes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
I saw the same guy on ebay and was considering one for the same thing, I have a backpack that fits over a sissy bar....ryan

What bracket would be used to attach it? Think I am getting pretty set on getting one since I just got my clothing allowance so made an extra $350 on this paycheck

Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts
Old 08-01-2015, 06:22 AM
djohn
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

When I take the softail on extended rides I use a 30 liter canoe dry pack strapped to the sissy bar. Most of the time I will drop the packed dry bag in an old army field pack that has the straps removed. I set the pack on the passenger pillion and then bungee it to the sissy bar, then I hook on a couple of bungee cargo nets on top of that and stuff clothes under them that I have taken off during the day as it gets warmer. It looks kind of hillbilly...but that's how I roll.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 AM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djohn
[IMG]

When I take the softail on extended rides I use a 30 liter canoe dry pack strapped to the sissy bar. Most of the time I will drop the packed dry bag in an old army field pack that has the straps removed. I set the pack on the passenger pillion and then bungee it to the sissy bar, then I hook on a couple of bungee cargo nets on top of that and stuff clothes under them that I have taken off during the day as it gets warmer. It looks kind of hillbilly...but that's how I roll.
I do the same thing with my sea bag from the Navy, fill it up and strap it to the sissy bar. If its got enough stuff in it, it makes a decent back rest, I like the idea of the cargo nets for strapping more things to it haha.

Also got my tires to the Indy to change them in a similar fashion.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM
djohn
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kainvamp
I do the same thing with my sea bag from the Navy, fill it up and strap it to the sissy bar. If its got enough stuff in it, it makes a decent back rest, I like the idea of the cargo nets for strapping more things to it haha.

Also got my tires to the Indy to change them in a similar fashion.

Thanks for that photo...never would have thought of that. I'm gonna need a new front tire soon.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:53 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I used to strap a Kelty rucksack to the front of the sissy bar, with a sleeping bag behind, on one of my Hondas back in the seventies.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,171 Likes on 11,106 Posts

HD backpack on my sissy bar. The pack slips over the bar.

Quick Reply: Sissy bar for carrying things?