General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer service issue am I out of line here?

Old 08-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Unless HD does business differently than auto manufacturers in this respect, this is patently false.

The manufacturer pays the dealer for warranty parts and labor yes, but the manufacturer determines what the profit margin on the job is, and let me tell you, it ain't much.

Customer pay tickets are written at higher, and often matrixed labor rates, and the parts mark up is greater as well.
This has been my experience in the auto world also. To make matters worse, less profitable warranty work was usually handed off to lower paid, salaried lower skilled mechanics. The profitable stuff was given to the guys who could turn it fast & do it right.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:25 AM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad they did right by you.

Last edited by inkdemon; 08-07-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Finally read the rest of the post
Old 08-07-2015, 12:13 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Unless HD does business differently than auto manufacturers in this respect, this is patently false.

The manufacturer pays the dealer for warranty parts and labor yes, but the manufacturer determines what the profit margin on the job is, and let me tell you, it ain't much.

Customer pay tickets are written at higher, and often matrixed labor rates, and the parts mark up is greater as well.
Well of course it is. The OP was implying that the dealer would be out money on a warranty issue if the engine had blown. The manufacturer pays a labor rate less that customer pay but it is based on your market. Obviously they pay a discount on the part as well. The margin is less and normally the flat rate time is less than "normal" as well.

I guess the way i wrote that didn't sound as good as it did in my head. I can see how you made this connection..

Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
As you said earlier, it wasn't about the money but being respected as a customer. So I would have said thank you for the way you handled this matter and now I'll be right down with the $200 I really owe you.
I could not agree more. This would be the best end of the problem. But this is just my thoughts I would have paid the bill for the original work before I left with my bike. But that's just me

Old 08-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Smash
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan.1977P
I really want to tell you to go to the feminine hygiene isle, buy a douche and wash the sand out of your vagina but that sounds a little harsh to me.
Misspelled words or not...that sht is funny.