General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer service issue am I out of line here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 PM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dealer service issue am I out of line here?

hey guys... So Inhad an issue with my 2015 Forty Eight and I wanted to share the story and get some other customer perspectives.

A week after I purchased my bike I went to have the rear pegs installed by the dealer. While there the tech noticed that the factory left off the heat shield and my pipes were melting my oil lines. He went as far to say that if I rode it home I would've lost my oil on the freeway and possibly blown my motor. It took them 6 days to get the parts in and get me my bike back. When I picked it up I wasn't sure if they were expecting me to still pay the labor for my accessory install but I was prepared to talk it over. They just tossed me my keys and I left. Fast forward to yesterday and I get a call from the parts guy who tells me the service manager thought the labor was included in my deal so that's why I wasn't charged and now they want me to pay the 220.00 fro two hours labor. I explained to him what happened and he said he would check it out and call me back. He called me back a little later and said the service manager said since they didn't have to remove my pipes to put on the shield or replace the oiled lines they still expected me to pay the labor. I told the parts guy I didn't think that was great customer service and I'd take it up with the service manager. I was at work and busy yesterday so I couldn't call him so I emailed him this morning. Haven't heard back yet. Now I'm of the opinion that they should pick up the labor for the inconvenience of me not having my bike for 6 days and the factory screwing up... The way I see it I saved them money out of dumb luck by bringing my bike in to have the pegs installed and catching the lines before they were melted off... What say you.?...

Old 08-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 729 Posts

Why didn't they catch this on the bike's preparation, you know, the prep and delivery charge that you pay when you buy a new bike? I say they took your money then failed you right out of the starting gate. They should not charge you for any labor on such a trivial matter.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:12 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

This heat shield should have been put on from the get go. It should have been part of the whole bike that you paid for. If they forgot, dealer of moco, to put them on, the cost should not go to you. You all ready paid to have them put on.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:15 PM
bgup619
Tourer

All great points.. I just wanted to hear someone agree.. Lol thanks gents

Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

2 hours to put the pegs on? so are the trying to say they had to pull the pipes to install the pegs? The techs are probably paid by the job and the faster they do it the more they make. The book probably calls for 2 hours but I bet it took a half hour. I think they should have cut you a break.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:23 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by rufasim
This heat shield should have been put on from the get go. It should have been part of the whole bike that you paid for. If they forgot, dealer of moco, to put them on, the cost should not go to you. You all ready paid to have them put on.
I think he was charged for peg install not heat shields and oil lines.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:30 PM
bgup619
Tourer

Yes.. I thought that was a long time.. I did it out of pure laziness and that my mrs would bug me everyday until I put them on.. I just checked my paper work and the dealer setup and prep fee was 488.00. I think I'll tell them I'll pay the 220 they want as soon as they refund me the 488

Old 08-02-2015, 07:42 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,095 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Did they quote you a price for the rear pegs prior to installing them?

You didn't ask in advance what the cost would be?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:42 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by bgup619
Yes.. I thought that was a long time.. I did it out of pure laziness and that my mrs would bug me everyday until I put them on.. I just checked my paper work and the dealer setup and prep fee was 488.00. I think I'll tell them I'll pay the 220 they want as soon as they refund me the 488
I think you make a good point! Your gonna hear it so I might as well say it. Buy a service manual save some money and know it's done right. You can always come here for tips as well.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you authorized the work ultimately you are responsible for the charges. That being said the situation seems to call for some type of middle of the road agreement that both parties can agree upon. If I were you I might reach out to the general manager of the store rather than the service manager. Just curious did the $220 include parts and labor?

Last edited by Aaresz; 08-02-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer service issue am I out of line here?