General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 PM
1tinner
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions

I've done a lot of reading throughout this forum to learn about what Harley Davidson has to offer me. When I was younger I owned several bikes from several different manufacturers including HD (1976 sportster) my AMF sportster was the biggest pos I ever owned, very unreliable and would actually disassemble itself as I would roll down the road. Im really hoping improvements have been made here.
Well im in the market to get back in two wheels again and im doing a lot of shopping around (stealerships and forums) and im kinda confused with the Harley line of bikes, what the heck is a flh, evo, eieio. Just having a tough time figuring out what works best for me.
I would like a bigger displacement bike, but not necessarily a bagger, I like speed and performance but the v-rod is so cramped I couldn't see myself riding ir for more than an hour.
Ive ridden other makes yamaha raider, and the Suzuki M109r and both are solid beast mode rides. The 109 is slmost scarry when you crack the throttle and lots of room for my legs.
From all the experience and knowledge here is there anything that can compete with these bikes.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Right now Harley is in the AMF state of mind when it comes to quality. This happens when most of the parts are made by the lowest bidder in China.

Other than that, don't worry about what the lettering means. Just test ride lots of motorcycles and the right one will find you.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 AM
1tinner
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Right now Harley is in the AMF state of mind when it comes to quality. This happens when most of the parts are made by the lowest bidder in China.

Other than that, don't worry about what the lettering means. Just test ride lots of motorcycles and the right one will find you.
Huh, I always thought Harley Davidson was and always will be American made. Guess this is the effect of a global economy.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I had a '75 AMF shovelhead for over 6 years and never had any trouble out of it. The only reason I sold it was, I got to where I thought about crashing when I rode it. It a really great bike.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

My primary bike for the past 20+ years has been one sportbike or another. When I decided to add a Harley to my small collection, I wanted a bike that would more or less handle and have some get up and go. Bought the Fat Bob (FXDF). Love it. Give it a try.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were impressed by a M109, any Harley should scare the living hell out of you. Good luck on your choice!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,133 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Take your time studying the different chassis types that Harley makes.

There are several major chassis types. Excluding the oddball VRod and Street models which aren't considered classic Harleys.

*XL...Sportster. The smaller model, very nimble, not comfy for large people.
*FXD...the Dyna. A true "Big Twin"...good combo of sporty riding and handling, yet larger, can be comfy for long rides, can be comfy for 2-up riding. Notice the exposed shocks on the back. Has the Sportster front end.
*FLH...the touring models "baggers". Still has the exposed rear shocks, but notice the heavier front forks and headlight setup. Road Glides, Street Glides, Road Kings, etc. Typically have fairings.
*FS models....Softails. Notice the side profile...no rear shocks. The frame has the "hardtail" look to it. The seat position is lower. You sit "in" the bike more, not so much "on" the bike like other models. Nice classic look. Come in several flavors...with the FX front end for the lighter look, or you can get them with the FL front end (FLST)...so it has a classic heavy cruiser look.

Throw in a few variants like "Springer" models.....

As for stuff like Evo..that's a type of engine.
Knucklehead...an old engine from the 30's to 40's
Panhead...from the late 40's to mid 60's
Shovelhead...from the late 60's to mid '84 (classic sounding engine)
Evo...from mid '84 to '99 (often said to be their best engine)(still sounds great, carb's)
Twin Cam..(twinkie)..from '00 to present

Take your time looking at the models, what appeals to you visually.
Sit on the various models, how's the comfort. Although...you can make pretty much any of the chassic comfy for you. 3x main things...Seat, Foot Controls, Handlebars. All can be easily swapped out/changed to your comfort.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:58 AM
1tinner
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ga.mason
If you were impressed by a M109, any Harley should scare the living hell out of you. Good luck on your choice!
Lol, have you ridden a 109? Im not sure if you're referring to performance or price. The only HD I've ridden so far that even comes close to performance is the V-Rod, an it is a real cramped ride. Now price I'll agree, I may have to settle for a used bike because the sticker price makes my sphincter pucker. I haven't even priced mods yet.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 AM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1tinner
Lol, have you ridden a 109? Im not sure if you're referring to performance or price. The only HD I've ridden so far that even comes close to performance is the V-Rod, an it is a real cramped ride. Now price I'll agree, I may have to settle for a used bike because the sticker price makes my sphincter pucker. I haven't even priced mods yet.

Out of the box the only Harley that could begin to keep an M109 in sight would be a 110" CVO (uber-expensive custom model) or a V-Rod (which you've already said you didn't like).
If you really want a Harley you'll either have to make some concessions on power or be ready to do some hot-roddin'. the 103 is an 'adequate' engine but not a powerhouse by any means.

Just judging from your responses and the bikes you're looking at I'd say the Dyna line is going to be your best bet. You're going to have to do some shopping to see if any variant 'speaks to you' though because there are a lot of them. A lot of dealers will allow test rides and even rentals so use that to help keep from making a $$$$$ mistake by picking the wrong bike.

BTW, I hate the whole alphabet soup naming thing too.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ironhead falling apart on you and being a total POS. I haven't worn mine out yet.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions