General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tickles me people doing there own work on 2 wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That right there is where a huge portion of the horror stories you hear about shovelheads came from.

I had a brand spanking new 84 FXEFB and it didn't hold a candle to the 94 FXD evo I had. It was better than the 63 FLH pan but the horror stories are well founded. They are hell on gaskets and the top end needs rebuilding far more frequently than a evo or a twin cam. Each new engine that Harley has introduced has been far more reliable and requires less routine maintenance than it's predecessor. I loved my pan, but the shovel was better. I loved the shovel, but the evo was better. I loved the evo but the twin cam is better. Well, the jury (me) is still out on that one, but after 15 years of twin cam ownership, I'm leaning toward the twin can being better.

Owners doing their own work is the primary reason I never buy used. Take a guy that has never held a wrench in his life, sell him a Harley, and all of a sudden he's a mechanic with a crescent wrench and a hammer that is skilled enough to change cams etc. My niece is a tech and a majority of her work involves fixing something the owners tried to do themselves and did incorrectly. The older the bike and the more owners it has passed through, the bigger the problems it has. Just read these threads and you can see for yourself how much misinformation and bad advice is flying around from guys that think they know what they are doing but really don't. A Harley forum is a great place to answers to your problem, but it is hard to find the right answer when it's buried under a ton of crap.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by RandallJ
Ex Garage owner myself..

Please ask to boink my lady before you ask to borrow tools..

I don't make a living with her and she always ends up back where she belongs..
Similar to the sign that used to hang in my grandfather's machine shop (where I pretty much grew up).

It read; "The only tool we loan belongs to OUR TOM CAT. He always brings it back!"

Old 08-10-2015, 02:29 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Smash
I do all of my own work on my bike....with a Crescent wrench and a ball peen hammer. And a 1970 Chiltons manual for a Hondamatic.

I found out years ago how "valuable" a Chiltons manual was, when, following its direction, I tried to remove an axle nut from the front end of my '75 Trident. The manual stated it had "left hand threads." It didn't. It cost me a new axle after I clamped it in a vice grips and marred the axle trying to turn the nut the wrong way......

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
The Youtube strategy is a good plan, but you need to know when someone
is doing it either the wrong way.

I've watch so many "Instructional videos" on youtube and just laughed and laughed at the way some of those idiots do things.

You want to see a video that had me shaking my head in amusement, watch the Preditor Motor Mount installation video on their web site...The guy doing the install is a fool and has no idea what he's doing.

Good motor mount/terrible video.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I started riding in Mar. 1956. That same week is when I first started to work on my bikes. No dealers and no independents.

No service manuals, no lifts and very minimal tools. Very minimal knowledge of lefty loosy except when it wasn't. Park on the gravel drive and put the stand down. Lay on gravel and drain the oil onto the rock. If I was lucky I could have a big piece of cardboard to lay on. Kept that one going for two years then another one until today and 60 bikes later.

Now I have a bike floor jack, a high lift floor jack, a lift table and a four post car lift with holes drilled to mount a Condor wheel chock if needed. There are three big floor tool chests with a top chest for each and several smaller chests for special tools. At least 14 service manuals and a couple of supplemental ones for CVO's

Wide range of tools from various sizes of torque wrenches, micrometers, dial indicators, depth gauges, calipers of various sizes, multiple sets of sockets in standard, deep well, SAE and metric. Same for wrenches. I find that if I have at least 4 of anything I am likely to find where I put it.

A variety of power tools electrical and pneumatic. Chop saws, vises, hydraulic press, drill press, tire changer and whatever size hammer that I need to fine adjust something.

80% of human learning is by trial and error not schooling. I just open something up and see what's going on. When my dad got the first power mower when I was about nine, I took it apart and had it back together and running before he got home from work one day.

The dealer only sees my vehicles for warranty and recalls. And even at that I have done some of them as it was easier than making an appointment going there and waiting for them.

Doing your own work is very satisfying and I feel it is part of having a motorcycle to know how it works and caring for it.

This was my 10 UC coming down on the 4 post lift from having an oil cooler install. The picture doesn't show but a fraction of the 1,500 sq. ft. garage.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4

Doing your own work is very satisfying and I feel it is part of having a motorcycle to know how it works and caring for it.

This was my 10 UC coming down on the 4 post lift from having an oil cooler install. The picture doesn't show but a fraction of the 1,500 sq. ft. garage.
Looks like @ 75 with 60 years of experience and money, you're doing just fine..
Good for You..

Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
"Blech" at computers for tuning...gotta take the fun out of wrenchin'.
I work with/on computers (and servers and networks and security and and..) all day.

When it comes to my bike, I'll stick to old school carb, wrench, greasy hands, oil on my boot, all that classic stuff. Purist all the way. Feels good to "dial in" a carb with a little screwdriver and have her purring (and roaring) right.

I'll leave fancy high tech to my wifes car.
I prefer a carbed bike because that is all I have ever owned. Love doing my own work, too! My 16 year old Harley runs just fine and I know every little "quirk" about the bike......and when something isn't right with it.

Last edited by harleydavis; 08-12-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Icon did not show