General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Towing is worthless

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 PM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HOG Towing is worthless

Went on a run Tuesday up to West Virginia and when I was coming back to S.C. my bike broke down on I85 outside of Charlotte, N.C. Called HOG for a tow. Explained that I was in a bad situation because I broke down on a bridge. Person on the other line got my gps position and said a tow would be on the way. Long story short, one hour later still waiting. While I was waiting a wreck happened literally a few feet from me. Authorities arrived for the wreck and after it was cleared the officer there said that he would get me a tow. Ten minutes later I out of there. HOG let me down big time. Riders out there make sure you have towing insurance. Dont rely on HOG. Big shout out to Harley-Davidson of Charlotte for getting me back on the road quickly.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I really don't think waiting an hour or so for a wrecker is unreasonable

Old 08-05-2015, 06:30 PM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Its unreasonable when the police got me one in ten minutes .

Last edited by sloufoot; 08-07-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kevjo
Its unreasonable when the police got me one in ten minutes .
I think that you're directing your hostilities to the wrong audience ... :>) ... Another tough guy behind the monitor ??

Last edited by sloufoot; 08-07-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Yep...another *******.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts
Default HOG Towing is worthless

I've only needed a tow truck once for the bike. The guy called within ten minutes of my original call to HOG, and told me he'd be there in an hour. 52 minutes later, he was winching my well-protected bike up onto his truck.

I'm pretty sure the bike rode smoother than I did on that trip.

Clearly, HOG is horrible, and their offices should be filled with honey, then devoured by ants.

It's important to remember that HOG doesn't actually tow your bike. They look for towing companies in your area that claim to be bike-friendly, then call them to your rescue.

If you have a lousy experience, it's the towing company that failed you, not HOG.

GM

Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Larry Jeeze what's going on lately? Don't they know who you are?
27 posts I think not.

KevJo chill man. Larrys good people.
While it's not right to have to stand around broken down, I can also tell you as far as motorcycle towing companies one hour is great!

I just waited 90 minutes on interstate 78 in NJ just 2 weeks ago and the MC tow company is owned by a NJ State Trooper!!!!! I shi$ you not. I thought I was going to get clipped. Felt like 3 hours.

The cop on duty obviously has resources available to him that MOST don't have to get you out of there in 10 minutes. That's not the norm.

Last edited by Gliden; 08-05-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gliden
Larry Jeeze what's going on lately? Don't they know who you are?
27 posts I think not.

KevJo chill man. Larrys good people.
While it's not right to have to stand around broken down, I can also tell you as far as motorcycle towing companies one hour is great!

I just waited 90 minutes on interstate 78 in NJ just 2 weeks ago and the MC tow company is owned by a NJ State Trooper!!!!! I shi$ you not. I thought I was going to get clipped. Felt like 3 hours.

The cop on duty obviously has resources available to him that MOST don't have to get you out of there in 10 minutes. That's not the norm.
I'm guessing he was still frustrated at the wrecker driver ... No hard feelings ... I guess he's "pulling the trigger" a bit quickly

Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GroovusMagnus
I've only needed a tow truck once for the bike. The guy called within ten minutes of my original call to HOG, and told me he'd be there in an hour. 52 minutes later, he was winching my well-protected bike up onto his truck.

I'm pretty sure the bike rode smoother than I did on that trip.

Clearly, HOG is horrible, and their offices should be filled with honey, then devoured by ants.

It's important to remember that HOG doesn't actually tow your bike. They look for towing companies in your area that claim to be bike-friendly, then call them to your rescue.

If you have a lousy experience, it's the towing company that failed you, not HOG.

GM
My take is that when HOG's name is on the service, they own the issues associated with the towing companies they contract. It is in HOG's interest to weed out non-performing owing companies, assuming HOG gives a ****.
Sammi

Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

No an Hour is not long, I've waited 6 hours before Been towed to many times in the last 45 years to count.
I'm sure HOG is not contracted to every wrecker service in the area. The Cop called the first available without any regard to price.
Never have used my HOG Towing, but will not Judge them by this one post.

Quick Reply: HOG Towing is worthless