General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first rides on public roads

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts
Default My first rides on public roads

What a cool weekend! After riding around our private community on the first few evenings with my new '07 Sportster 1200C, the fuel idiot light popped on. Time for a trip to the gas station!

So for the first time I ventured out. It's a 4 mile trip on a 2-lane county road. I got up to 45mph, 4th gear, and tried to stay relaxed. I was really keeping an eye on the road for surface issues, these NE Penna roads are brutal. There are lots of repair spots, and some seams that are a little scary, especially for the thinner 21" front wheel. But I made it ok.

It was quite surreal for me to pull into a crowded gas station on a Sat morning on a Harley. On the trip back home I passed my first biker, and did my first wave, lol.

Sunday morning I went out again, this time for a trip to the cemetery to my son's site. This was the first place I always imagined I'd go when I got a bike. 25 mi round trip, no issues.

Pretty exhilarating to go out on the roads for the first time. The trips definitely seem longer on a bike than in a car. I imagine as I gain experience everything will become more natural.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

I cannot imagine a better first stop. Enjoy your ride and know our hearts go out to you and so many who have lost children. Ride safe.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I've only been riding for 9 years, but I had almost forgotten how intimidating the first few rides are. Take it slow, pretty soon it will become natural, and you can stop thinking about actually how to operate and control a motorcycle and concentrate on the ride itself.

Be safe and have fun.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations! It's only just the beginning of a great adventure.

You didn't mention if you'd taken a safety class yet or not. If not I'd strongly suggest you take one as soon as possible and then practice what you learn in class. If you already took one than it's all about refining your skills.

Best of luck and ride safe!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

After many years and numerous bikes, it still takes me longer to go somewhere on the bike than it does in a cage. But that's probably because in a cage I just go from point A to point B. On the bike I tend to go from Point A to C to D to E to... just to finally end up a B.

Stay safe and enjoy. As dsigrist said, if you haven't taken a safety class please do.

I'm sorry you had to bury your son. It just wasn't meant to happen that way, our children are supposed to bury us.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM
rkc915
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

First off let me offer my condolences on your loss. I can't even imagine having to go through that.

Congratulations on your ride, it will get easier and you will get more relaxed as time passes. Agree with taking the safety classes. Well worth the time and money.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:51 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'm at loss to know what to say to you, a first motorcycle trip to your child's grave is so sad - I hope he would have been proud of you for riding a Harley.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Offroadmaniac
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the first kinda long ride, I hope you have a lifetime of safe fun rides in memory of your son.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:06 PM
chadk
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

great picture and congratulations on the ride.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I am very sorry you lost your son. However that picture is something you should have framed as reminder that as you get better and ride the miles on, he is with you smiling and keeping you safe! God bless.

I have only been riding a little over a year, and if I can do it anyone can. Take your time, pay attention, practice braking and swerves in the parking lot so the proper techniques becomes your reaction. when time and money permit, take more training. You'll never stop learning or having fun! Ride safe!

Quick Reply: My first rides on public roads