General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob riding questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts
Default Noob riding questions

I've had my Sportster XL1200C for about a week.

1 - Gear selection
In a car, it's quiet. If it's revving, it's because I'm going up hill or I forgot it's in manu-matic mode. Otherwise, quiet. On the Sporty, which has Cycle Shack pipes, it's never quiet, lol. In my community the speed limit is 25mph, and 2nd gear is where I stay. If I go to 3rd, it lugs. On my local county road with 40mph limit, 3rd it about as high as I go. My brain is telling me to upshift, I guess because of the noise. Does it sound like I'm in the right gears for the speeds mentioned? I don't have a tach. I don't think the RPMs are high, but I'm just not used to riding for miles in lower gears.

2 - Turning technique
I need to improve on starting a turn from a stop. For right turns, I'm leaning the bike slightly and turning the bars while stopped, so I can make the tighter turn. But once I get going the front wheel wants to go back to straight too soon, and it's making me turn wider than I want. Part of it is my need to improve my balance when starting out. Any tips? Should I be using some back brake on these starts?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I've had my Sportster XL1200C for about a week.

1 - Gear selection
In a car, it's quiet. If it's revving, it's because I'm going up hill or I forgot it's in manu-matic mode. Otherwise, quiet. On the Sporty, which has Cycle Shack pipes, it's never quiet, lol. In my community the speed limit is 25mph, and 2nd gear is where I stay. If I go to 3rd, it lugs. On my local county road with 40mph limit, 3rd it about as high as I go. My brain is telling me to upshift, I guess because of the noise. Does it sound like I'm in the right gears for the speeds mentioned? I don't have a tach. I don't think the RPMs are high, but I'm just not used to riding for miles in lower gears.

2 - Turning technique
I need to improve on starting a turn from a stop. For right turns, I'm leaning the bike slightly and turning the bars while stopped, so I can make the tighter turn. But once I get going the front wheel wants to go back to straight too soon, and it's making me turn wider than I want. Part of it is my need to improve my balance when starting out. Any tips? Should I be using some back brake on these starts?
1. I don't have a sporty, but hopefully you have the manual. In there, there is normally a table that shows gears and mph. I was surprised in my Dyna manual at how low the speeds were because it feels like its lugging at the speeds they mentioned. However they designed and manufactured it so they know best. My bike is happier revving a bit though.

2. This is where parking lot practice (aka PLP) comes into play. That technique you mentioned takes time to get comfortable with. I tend to just start slow and drag my rear brake a bit as if I was making slow speed maneuvers. Either way, practice in a lot and it will eventually click. The technique you mentioned is shown here

Last edited by Twospot; 08-11-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:01 AM
tmurray9999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your gear selection sounds fine, at 40 you could go into 4th though. The feel for turning will come, you can take it a little slower for now if the bike is sitting up too quick.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:04 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With slow tight turns a little rear brake will help steady the balance of the bike, and stop that 'wanting to go straight feeling'.
Try it somewhere safe the first time, takes a bit of perfecting.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Another thing that will help your right turns is the outside in track. Start from the left side of the lane to turn. The above video will help. If you haven't already, you might want to take one of the safety courses in your area.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

1) Get some ear plugs.

2a) If you are going to make a right hand turn, start from the left side of the lane.

2b) If you are going to make a left hand turn, start from the right side of the lane.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Mynamejeff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob riding questions

Take a motorcycle safety class if you havent. Gives you a chance to learn some skills, and not risk dropping the sporty.

Shift where it feels right, but i think the manual says to shift at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

Awesome replies, thanks all! I did take the MSF btw.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 08-11-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,626 Likes on 3,211 Posts

When I took the (equivalent to) MSF course the instructors taught us a technique you can try: when approaching a stop where you must make a sharp turn, "pre-turn" your bike by angling it in the direction you want to turn before stopping.

This works well in on-the-road situations but obviously won't in a crowded parking lot so you still need to practice the techniques already mentioned. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

Also look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Quick Reply: Noob riding questions