General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10in 12in Bars Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:40 AM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 10in 12in Bars Change

About to start doing some mods on my bikes.

I have a SG that I had customized a few years back. Not a lot left to do, but, my only regret is that I really wanted (I thought) the "mini-apes". I love the look.

I sat on a bike at a dealer this past weekend that had 10" bars. I've seen pictures of bikes with 12" bars. I really like the look of the 12", just slightly above the fairing line.

Now I have the bug to make the switch, however, I have never ridden with either. This will be an expensive experiment! I can make the switch, and if I hate them, I guess I can have the standard bars put back on.

I'd like your opinions of the ride, handling, maneuverability, comfort, etc of the mini's vs. the standard bars / hand position.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 AM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Before I changed my RK stock bars I would move my hands up to the mirrors to get an idea of arm position. Stock bars were 7.5" rise and mirrors were 4-5" above, so I decided on 12" for my new bars. I probably could of went to 14" and still be comfortable, but that would probably be as high as I would ever go - everyone is different. There are so many manufacturers/models of aftermarket bar of all different heights, pullback, wrist angle, etc... I ended up with Yaffe 12" Monkey Bars and love them.

Ride comfort is mush improved over stock, maneuverability isn't an issue - you will be extending your arms more, especially while parking, moving around the garage, etc.. so you want to be sure turn the bars lock to lock to check your reach before tightening them down.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 AM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser

I'm looking at the Yaffe 12" . Thanks for that comment.

As far as maneuverability, have they effected your ability to make U-turns? Seems to me that would be a new reach angle.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

RKCruzin', I have owned BMW sport and touring bikes, a Ducati 900SS, and six Harleys, 2 with stock bars, 2 with drag bars, and 2 with apes, so I have experience with different bar styles.

My present Street Glide has 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars. I have had 5 shoulder surgeries over the years, and several types of bars would cause pain in my shoulder, and numbness in my hands.

I had a chance 6-7 months to ride a friend's bike with 12" Yaffe MB's, and they are a miracle for me. I installed them on my bike, and instantly, no more pain in the shoulder, no more numb hands. They are very comfortable for me, and if I close my eyes and reach out to were I think I would want my bars to be, that is exactly where the MB's are.

As far as steering and control, they are wider than the stock bars, thus, to me, giving me more control, as you have more leverage.

I did rotate the bars about an inch and a half towards me from dead vertical, and I can easily go lock-to-lock by leaning forward about an inch during tight turns. U-turns are, to me, easier than with the stock bars.

One more thing they do for me is make me sit up straighter. With the stock bars, I was developing a slight slouch while riding. The MB's have corrected that.

If I would known how profoundly comfortable these bars are, they would have been the first thing I did to the bike

Good luck, and I hope they work out for you.

-Ray

Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm in t he same boat 10 or 12

Old 08-12-2015, 02:39 PM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser

Ray,

Beautiful bike! Exactly the look I have in mind....... Also, really cool picture with the cleaning products & oil sitting in front.....

Great information. I had wondered about pulling the bars back toward me and inch or so. I've seen them straight up, or even slightly forward. I suspected pulling back slightly would be better.

I just returned from 10 days in the Sturgis to Yellowstone area. Did 2100 miles in 10 days. Lots of time with the cruise on shaking the life back into my right hand. My bars aren't stock, but at that level with a slight pull back. Either way, the hand got very tired. Ever try a switchback with a numb right hand? Can be scary...

I'm ordering the Yaffe 12's! I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say they hated them.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

RKCruzin', thanks for the compliment, and glad the info helped-

-Ray

Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

not sure what my Heritage's are in height? 10 or 12.. but I really like them... I know a lot of RK riders here have installed the Heritage's bars...

Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 PM
bedelman10
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray,

I noticed you switched from the stock mirrors to bar mirrors with your monkey bars, where the bars in interference with your line of vision with the 12's? I really like the looks of the height of the 10's but they block the fairing mirrors and i really dont want to put mirrors on the bars.