General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bring the bike to England?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 PM
charger426
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring the bike to England?

So I will be moving over to England for the next three years and I'm not sure what to do with my Dyna (09 Super Glide). The one person I already know where I'm going said they brought their Ultra and its sat for the two years they have been there because its always raining+cold and the roads suck compared to the states. With that said from what I've seen on the internet motorcycles are pretty popular over there so I'm not sure if the person I know just doesn't want to ride or if it was they brought a big bagger that might not be fun to ride on the smaller road over there.

So I'm torn between these three choices:

Bring my Dyna

Wait till I get there and buy an older Triumph to ride around while I'm there and if I like it bring it back with me. (anything over 25 years old I can bring back and don't have to worry about inspections)

Or just not ride for 3 years

Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,810 Likes on 17,447 Posts

Buy some rain gear and take the bike, seriously. England isn't that bad for weather and outside of huge cities like London bikes the only way to travel. Cross the channel and it's game on for fun. You haven't lived till you've rode some of the Alps on 2 wheels.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:13 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,016 Likes on 11,049 Posts

Better check drivers license laws in England you may not be able to use your us license for 3 years.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Take it and enjoy.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It rains a lot but it's not the coldest country in the world. Depends what part of England you'll be in, the south doesn't get much snow usually.

It'll take a bit of practice to ride on the other side of the road, but I rode there for years. Expect to wear rain gear most of the time.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

I was over there for 3 years as a military dependent and rode a bike for 2 years.
Frankly I found it rained alot every early morning but I rarely got wet.

Take the bike, you'll love the winding roads.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:07 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

I go to England often. It does rain a lot, but rarely on a steady all day basis.

People do ride around wearing rain suits but it's a fairly mild climate and I would say you would ride more than a person who lives in the colder areas of the U.S.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 AM
hellboundslim
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the cost going to be? Do you have to pay to store your bike while away? How much to ship, and how long will that take? Also have to think about shipping it back. How much to buy a used bike over there? Again, shipping it home if you want to keep it, or re sale of it when you leave.

Either way, I dont think many of us would give up riding for 3 years, so you can forget that crazy idea.

Worst case, you know there is an Ultra over there already

Old 08-13-2015, 02:44 AM
Jack the Lad
Tourer
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts

The south eastern corner of the UK is the driest, I've done 5000 miles since April and I haven't ridden in the rain yet. It's a mild climate so don't worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (10-15-2021)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:03 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I live in the UK, compared with say the Southern states of America yes you could say it rains a lot, more up North than in the South were I live, having said that we do get a lot of dry sunny days where the temperature in the summer is between 60f and 80f it rarely goes above that, so again like say the Southern States you don't get days on end of 100f and higher temps so it comfortable to ride here.
As for the roads yeah some of them are rough potholes etc, but I've been on roads like that in America, I tend to stick to Motorways no stopping and starting for traffic lights roundabouts etc and the surfaces are a lot better.
Personally I'd leave your bike at home or sell it, and decide what to do when you get here, if you like the look of the roads and weather then get a Triumph or even a cheap Harley.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bring the bike to England?