General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dressed Cool vs Dressed for Safety

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 PM
GCW
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dressed Cool vs Dressed for Safety

Hey guys,

New rider observation: When driving around, it seems like I see a large amount of the "NON - crotch rocket” riders, that like wearing either no helmets, half helmets or open face helmets more so then a full face. Also along with that, since it’s been real hot or warm, I see a lot of t-shirts instead of a jacket for protection – in the event of an accident.

The look they are sporting appears to be real bad *** /cool looking biker guy (which I do like that vibe)… BUT doesn’t it also include with it a very risky element of - if they get into an accident (their fault or not) the upper body and face can get real Fu#%ed Up by the asphalt or worse??

My Questions: Is it just me or am I being overly cautious in my thought process? No one want’s to be real hot on a ride, but I don’t want to be a torn up bloody mess either.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wear a t-shirt. The guy I ride most with wears Kevlar jacket and his cut. We both wear half helmets. Maybe I'm just to old for all this heat and figure its worth the risk.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GCW
Hey guys,

New rider observation: When driving around, it seems like I see a large amount of the "NON - crotch rocket” riders, that like wearing either no helmets, half helmets or open face helmets more so then a full face. Also along with that, since it’s been real hot or warm, I see a lot of t-shirts instead of a jacket for protection – in the event of an accident.

The look they are sporting appears to be real bad *** /cool looking biker guy (which I do like that vibe)… BUT doesn’t it also include with it a very risky element of - if they get into an accident (their fault or not) the upper body and face can get real Fu#%ed Up by the asphalt or worse??

My Questions: Is it just me or am I being overly cautious in my thought process? No one want’s to be real hot on a ride, but I don’t want to be a torn up bloody mess either.
The way I look at is, we are riding motorcycles. If we wanted to be safe we would be driving a mid 70's Cadillac. That hot jacket isn't gonna keep your neck from snapping. I wear a helmet 100% of the time. I will wear a jacket to keep me from shivering on a cold day. I understand gearing up more could improve chances of surviving a crash, but I guess that is a chance I am willing to take. I wear what is comfortable.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

I dress depending on what kind of riding I'm going to do. But normally I do not wear a jacket unless it's cold. If I'm doing a highway trip 300 plus miles I wear a helmet. Around town and back roads its jeans, t shirt and boots.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

The key is wear what YOU want to wear. Don't pay any attention to guys like me who wear whatever they dress in that day or guys that wear ATGATT. It is your ride to enjoy or not so do as YOU please.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

No matter how hot the temperature, I wear no less than full leather boots, jeans, perforated leather jacket or mesh kevlar jacket, gloves and helmet. I cringe when I see guys in shorts, flip flops and tanks tops but I would never say a word to anyone on what to wear. Just like helmets, it'a an individuals call on what to wear.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:25 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Dressed Cool vs Dressed for Saftey

I think it comes down to your own personal risk vs. reward calculation. Every rider accepts some additional level of risk just by riding. Beyond that, you have to make a choice about whether definitely being cool (in a temperature sense) and maybe being cool (in a badass biker sense) is worth the chance of a bunch of flayed skin on your arms in the event of a crash, if you choose to wear a T-shirt instead of a jacket on a hot day.

In my case, some if my decisions in this regard are based on advice from other riders. Some is based on my own observations as I continue to ride and gain experience. Some is based on things that have happened to loved ones that I don't want to happen to me. Some are based on gut feelings.

Fwiw, when I first started riding again 2 years ago (after an 18 year hiatus) I wore a full face helmet always, a jacket almost always, boots, jeans, and gloves always. Now I typically wear a half helmet and T-shirt in warm weather (I stay cool, but I'm probably not cool) but always boots jeans and gloves still. Go figure.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

1. 64% of all head/skull injuries occur on parts of the head NOT COVERED by a half helmet.
2. No matter how hot and sweaty you are in your mesh armored jacket, long pants, and boots, and gloves, you're not nearly as sweaty as you'll be in all the bandages covering up your skin grafts.
3. Do what you want.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Ripplingh2o
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, it's an individual choice but I also encourage riders who are raising a family, have a family, or have others that rely upon them for an up-bringing and/or support to consider those needs in their decision(s) as to what to wear and when. They may not "care" about themselves but (at least) care about those that could be drastically affected by a "poor" choice or decision. It's not always a meme consideration.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripplingh2o
I agree, it's an individual choice but I also encourage riders who are raising a family, have a family, or have others that rely upon them for an up-bringing and/or support to consider those needs in their decision(s) as to what to wear and when. They may not "care" about themselves but (at least) care about those that could be drastically affected by a "poor" choice or decision. It's not always a meme consideration.
Exactly. And there are none more ignorant than those who spout: "It only affects me".

No, it doesn't.

Quick Reply: Dressed Cool vs Dressed for Safety