General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first bike and my first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:13 AM
hoody
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first bike and my first Harley

Hey Guys,

Ive just passed my bike test and im about to fulfill my lifetime dream by buying a harley Davidson.

My dream bike was always a fat boy but living in Scotland where its cold and wet it may not be the wisest choice as it has little protection.

So im almost there in deciding on a street glide.

Am i being wise buying such a big bike for my first bike? was also thinking of the switchback but worried that i might regret not buying the street gluide while i had the chance.

What do u guys think in your experience?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

1st post
Troll
You should have used the search function
Wheres the "not this **** again" meme...

If I missed anything please chime in...

And by the way...ride what you want

Old 08-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Well...be ready for a ton of criticism...especially when you call it a "bike test." Sounds like you just graduated from a pedal bike school...

IMHO, I wouldn't recommend the "dream bike" right from the gate. Main reasons are (1) you're a "green-horn" so bigger/heavier bikes aren't the best "learner" rides, (2) not wishing this, but if you do have a spill...would you really want to wreck a $15K - $20K investment...??, and (3) need to hone those skills and, believe it or not, other makes/manufacturers are nimble & forgiving to a novice rider.

I'm sure my advice will get bashed (always does), but give yourself some time to enjoy "learning to ride" before graduating to your dream-cycle. It's a similar comparison to getting your car license and then smok'n off in a Ferrari...good luck and congrats on your m/c endorsement.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:35 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolaid
1st post
Troll

Sweet Jesus dude...if you don't want to offer constructive advice = ignore the post. You were a "1st post wonder" too and the member's only asking for some help.

I don't believe they're in the "Troll" category & searching for riding advice will bring up pages upon pages of posts. Why not let them know how you started off in the m/c world...??

Old 08-15-2015, 07:38 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Welcome Aboard

Welcome aboard from FL, USA! What ever bike you choose will be the right one.

Originally Posted by Coolaid
1st post
Troll

Mabey I missed something? Other than not posting in the new members section first, it appears that he got it right!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 AM
hoody
3rd Gear

Sorry if i shouldve posted in new members bit first.

I assure you im no troll. just looking for some honest advice

Lol just outta pedal school. (im a noob expect some stick)

Old 08-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hoody
Sorry if i shouldve posted in new members bit first.

I assure you im no troll. just looking for some honest advice

Lol just outta pedal school. (im a noob expect some stick)

And I'm just ****in' with ya'...

too bad the other dipshits can't see that...

Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It is a bike test over the pond, and they have a pretty stringent multi-skills and tests system there. They would laugh at our MSF 2 day course.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 AM
hoody
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Well...be ready for a ton of criticism...especially when you call it a "bike test." Sounds like you just graduated from a pedal bike school...

IMHO, I wouldn't recommend the "dream bike" right from the gate. Main reasons are (1) you're a "green-horn" so bigger/heavier bikes aren't the best "learner" rides, (2) not wishing this, but if you do have a spill...would you really want to wreck a $15K - $20K investment...??, and (3) need to hone those skills and, believe it or not, other makes/manufacturers are nimble & forgiving to a novice rider.

I'm sure my advice will get bashed (always does), but give yourself some time to enjoy "learning to ride" before graduating to your dream-cycle. It's a similar comparison to getting your car license and then smok'n off in a Ferrari...good luck and congrats on your m/c endorsement.

I totally see what your saying. Im probably gonna get ripped for this as well but the wifes wanting kids in a couple of years and my thinking is i may not be in a position financially to buy the big bike then so get it done now. I appreciate your common sense advive and i think your prob right.

Anyone got any thoughts on the switchback?

Old 08-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Worst thing about this is you will wipe out. Remember that. You're going to go down at sometime, some way, somehow, and it will be because of a novice mistake. It's cheaper to do that with some crapped out 300lb old Jap bike than a premium, pricey 600lb Street Glide. You can toss the Jap bike in the garbage after a year or two and get the Glide, having a better idea of what to expect out of the road and yourself.

You will be sooo unhappy if you get a Glide and trash it in the first year. Very expensive lesson.

Quick Reply: My first bike and my first Harley