General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When does a Harley STOP being a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When does a Harley STOP being a Harley?

I've been working on rebuilding this '96 Road King, and piece-by-piece, I've replacing original factory parts with stronger, more modern-engineered pieces. In not so long from now, I'll be down to a couple of tins, the frame, the motor, and the transmission as being the only factory parts left on it. Eventually, I plan on replacing the motor and trans, leaving only a few polished scraps of metal and the frame as being OEM parts.

So, when, at what point, does this bike cease being a Harley and become an original creation?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Almost anyone can make a fender or frame. With the right tools you can weld brackets and assorted do dads.Forks and rims are available from aftermarket companies. Wires are non brand components. If your handy, you can make your own seat. There are replacement motors and transmissions available from american and foreign sources. But,a real Harley motor is only made by The Harley Davidson motor company. That is what makes a Harley, a Harley. If you had the ability to make a motor from scratch, you would probably give it your name, because Harley Davidson is a registered trademark for their motor.,,,

Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

It's the engine Dude,
Try to wrap your brain around the idea that even if it's an S&S or Rev-tech (or other) it's still a Harley Davidson Engine.
Get it?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

As long as the title says it's a Harley, then it's a Harley.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

In legal terms, if it says "Harley Davidson" on the title, it's a Harley Davidson.

Everything else is pointless philosophising.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by RK El Guapo
I've been working on rebuilding this '96 Road King, and piece-by-piece, I've replacing original factory parts with stronger, more modern-engineered pieces. In not so long from now, I'll be down to a couple of tins, the frame, the motor, and the transmission as being the only factory parts left on it. Eventually, I plan on replacing the motor and trans, leaving only a few polished scraps of metal and the frame as being OEM parts.

So, when, at what point, does this bike cease being a Harley and become an original creation?
Just curious about something. Before I picked up my new Springer, I had the exhaust upgraded and also did a stage 1 , so in a way, I took a stock bike and before it left the dealership it became an original creation because it didn't leave the factory that way. To each their own but as I see it, as soon as a person makes just one small change, it becomes an original creation so things like that don't matter to me, it's just about riding a Harley not what components it's made from.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

The Moco quit making harleys when they started putting China made parts on & in them at the factory, buying public just hasn't clued up to that fact yet.........

Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

In today's world if you bolt on a bunch of crap it's known as a "build." With that definition, once you change anything it's no longer a harley. Not everyone subscribes to that theory, though.

Like someone else said, it is what it says on the title.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
The Moco quit making harleys when they started putting China made parts on & in them at the factory, buying public just hasn't clued up to that fact yet.........
So what % of a the bike is actually US made ? I'm thinking about 50%

Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Dealership I use describes this as a Nightrain based Chopper, the only parts of a Nightrain left are probably the innards of the engine and gearbox.

http://www.lindhd.co.uk/pages/used/u...d3faef318a.htm

Quick Reply: When does a Harley STOP being a Harley?