General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salt Lake Citys to Glacier

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Salt Lake Citys to Glacier

We are leaving Salt Lake next Thursday headed to Glacier. Gonna go to Twin Falls first night and then undecided from there. Should we go up the west or east side of the mountains. From Twin Falls to Glacier we will be looking at spending one night somewhere between Twin Falls and Missoula. Don't have any idea what is in that part of the world.

Oh yeah we are shipping our bikes from Tennessee to Salt Lake in order to get a couple more days ride out there. This should explain why we don't know crap about the area in Idaho.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Both sides are fun. I'm guessing your thinking of going from twin falls to sun valley, to Stanley and up? Not sure if there is a different route but from Stanley to Missoula is a nice ride. There are some smaller towns along the way with motels etc.

Living in Boise I take highway 55, to 13 out of Grangville, to 12 then on to Missoula. Usually spend a night in Kooskia or Kamiah the take 12 to Missoula.

One thing I would suggest, check the fire reports. Seems they are everywhere at the moment.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tufel
Both sides are fun. I'm guessing your thinking of going from twin falls to sun valley, to Stanley and up? Not sure if there is a different route but from Stanley to Missoula is a nice ride. There are some smaller towns along the way with motels etc.

Living in Boise I take highway 55, to 13 out of Grangville, to 12 then on to Missoula. Usually spend a night in Kooskia or Kamiah the take 12 to Missoula.

One thing I would suggest, check the fire reports. Seems they are everywhere at the moment.
You are correct, looking at Sun Valley to Stanley and up but don't know where rooms are. Got any suggestions. We also like the looks of the west side and that Hwy 12. Looks as if it is a nice curvy road. Is there an indian reservation you have to go through on the west side?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 AM
thor05deluxe
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Was your plan to go up US93 in Idaho? Is there a purpose for the Twin Falls stop off?
I grew up over there and spent many summer vacations in that part of the country. I'd suggest going the eastern side of Idaho work your way over to Jackson Hole, Wy. and then go make the trip through Yellowstone Natl. Park.. Come out the top side of the park on US89 and then grab I-90 west over to Missoula, and get on US93 north towards Kalispell, which will run you alongside Flathead Lake, then take US2 east through Glacier.

US93 is also some pretty country if you do decide to run up the middle of Idaho.

Take pics, keep us posted, sounds like it's going to be a blast.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by thor05deluxe
Was your plan to go up US93 in Idaho? Is there a purpose for the Twin Falls stop off?
I grew up over there and spent many summer vacations in that part of the country. I'd suggest going the eastern side of Idaho work your way over to Jackson Hole, Wy. and then go make the trip through Yellowstone Natl. Park.. Come out the top side of the park on US89 and then gran I-90 west over to Missoula, and get on US93 north towards Kalispell, which will run you alongside Flathead Lake, then take US2 east through Glacier.

US93 is also some pretty country if you do decide to run up the middle of Idaho.

Take pics, keep us posted, sounds like it's going to be a blast.
We are going up through Idaho, we have been to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone several times but haven't been through Idaho except on the interstate through Coeur d'Alene. We just don't know to go up 55 or 93, I'm sure they both are good routes, just looking for local knowledge of places to stay and most enjoyable route.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From Stanley up, IIRC both Challis and Salmon have motels.

if you come over to Boise and take highway 55 to 95 up throgh McCall, Grangeville, and other towns with motels. The you can continue on up 95 to Lewiston and take 12. Or take highway 13 out of Grangeville to highway 12. Highway 12 is a personal favorite as it follows the clearwater river and its mostly high speed sweepers for 100 miles. The you hit Lolo pass into Missoula.

Always a good sign.

Attached Thumbnails Salt Lake Citys to Glacier-110802-7002winding-road-sign-lolo-pass-idaho.jpg  

Last edited by Tufel; 08-17-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Grumbler
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Twin Falls to Glacier

Am in Boise and know those roads very well. Never been to Glacier than the 200/93 jct.

93 btw Twin Falls and Shoshone at 93/75 jct is kinda blah. 75 has traffic and stoplights north of the 93/20 jct until north of Ketchum.

75 is nice albeit not twisty until going over Galena Summit. 75 btw Stanley and Challis is great!

93 btw Challis and Salmon is twisty albeit somewhat barren compared to stretch btw Salmon and Darby. It's a drone north of Darby.

I'd suggest riding west from Twin Falls to Bliss via Old Hwy 30 then 84 to Gowen Rd/21 in Boise.

North on 21 to Idaho City and Lowman. Warning: tight downhill twisties from Beaver Creek Summit to Lowman.

West on Banks-Lowman Hwy to Banks. North on 55 to McCall and New Meadows.

North on 95 to Riggins and Grangeville. Both towns have lodging.

Grangeville to Kooskia via 13. Get fuel in Kooskia. US-12 to Lolo, MT. The famous Winding Road Next 77 Miles is just east of Lowell.

It's my understanding that there's less traffic going west over Glacier Park. Lodging isn't cheap up there.

Last edited by Grumbler; 08-17-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

We went from just east of SLC to Glacier last summer. Took two days. One day just to Boise and a second long day to just west of Glacier. It was a long slow 2 lane road from Boise up to Glacier.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

We were in Glacier National Park a few years ago. From Missoula we picked up highway 83 in a valley between two mountain ranges, real nice ride. Stayed in a Travel Lodge (biker friendly) in Kalispell, rode Glacier "Rode to the Sun". A nice HD shop south of town.

Or take US 93 out of Missoula to Kalispell, trip is around a big lake. Lots of geological history associated with the Missoula area. Pretty country.