General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought I'd get a better trade at an HD dealership.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Puma NJ
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I thought I'd get a better trade at an HD dealership.

Friends have said, and I've read it on one of the Harley forums, that HD dealers give better trades on Harleys than other dealers because it helps to keep up the reputation that Harleys hold their value better than other brands. Well one of the local Victory dealers and one of the local HD dealers both offered me the same trade value on my CVO RK. Both were pretty disappointing offers at that, but I expected it from the Vic dealer. The HD dealer surprised me.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

i don't think the dealer cares more about the absolute price on a trade in than he does about his bottom line . his money is obviously made on the spread between trade in and resale price . Both dealers work off the same book value.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

I would have expected the VIC dealer to give you a better trade amount to lure you away from the HD "experience". I'm sure they keep track of anyone defecting to them. It's a great marketing pitch.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
i don't think the dealer cares more about the absolute price on a trade in than he does about his bottom line . his money is obviously made on the spread between trade in and resale price . Both dealers work off the same book value.
Sales and trade-ins are local. That's the game, yo.

Sammi

Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,099 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by Puma NJ
Friends have said, and I've read it on one of the Harley forums, that HD dealers give better trades on Harleys than other dealers because it helps to keep up the reputation that Harleys hold their value better than other brands.
LOL..that's pretty funny!

...i never read that, never heard of, and of course...wouldn't expect it. The dealership is just an easy way to trade in, if you don't care about getting soaked and losing a bit of money, and if you're too lazy to private sell.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,339 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Puma - When I traded my Heritage in NJ June of 15, I was met with more BS and out and out lies then I thought was imaginable. UNTIL I went to WilliamsHD, they gave me an extremely fair deal on my bike and an extremely fair deal on my purchase. Jay my salesguy told me point blank, this is what we will advertise the (trade in) bike at and they did. Give em a shot..

Old 08-17-2015, 12:30 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

No one is going to offer you what you think a one year old bike is worth. You have to ride it until it is at least paid off to get a reasonable offer for it. They gave me $8K for my 02 Road King with 39K miles on it. I thought that was reasonable.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

They usually go by the Black Book. NADA.com wholesale should give you a good idea before you drop by. What year is your bike?

Old 08-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why? did you actually think you'd be right side up in less than two years of payments?

Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

You would be better off keeping your King and getting what ever bike your after thus owning two.

What do you not like about a CVO King that you are already wanting another bike? Tell me you did not finance it and are willing to carry a negative balance forward!

You loose way way too much money when you trade, especially when your only two years old. No matter what they offer you on trade, they will always make up somewhere else. One point on interest over the life of a loan can take care of a lot.

Remember guys, dealers are there to make money, not supply you with a motorcycle custom priced to your income.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I thought I'd get a better trade at an HD dealership.