General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my bike back to England

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Denek
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking my bike back to England

Hi all. I am an Englishperson liveing for an all too brief 3 years in America. I enjoyed having a couple of Harley's in the UK and when we got this opportunity to live in the USA for 3 years I just had to get one here.
Now it's only a little 883 sporty but I love it and I want to do some work on it to make it mine but I am worried that I will not be able to take it back to the UK at the end of our stay.
Long story short question. How easy is it to take a bike into the UK from USA?
Before we left to come here I had a dyna wide glide which I loved too but there is something basic about the sportster that I really like and it would be my intention to bob it.
If anyone has any advice please I would be grateful.

Dennis.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Call Harley and ask if your 883 is England EPA compliant. There might be different government regs

Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Denek
Stage IV

Hi firefighter.
No I guess not and to be honest I am not sure what the requirements are. I know that there may be an issue with lighting but aside from that I have no idea. Different emissions maybe?
I am not sure but as I understand it you do not have to pay import duty if you have owned the vehicle for more than 6 months. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. Thing is I do not want to spend money on the bike only to find I a, forced to sell when we have to leave.
I actually would love to stay a little longer till 2018 then I could think about retirement when I get home. But I don't know if that will be possible and I suppose it's only putting off the inevitable.
My wife and I love it here we love the country and have found the people warm and friendly.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:06 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Take a look at the other similar thread on here, probably better to flog your bike in the States and get a new one when you get home.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:15 AM
FLSlim
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this should help and answer all your questions in rapid order

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../dg_071777.pdf

Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Denek
Stage IV

Thanks all trouble is I have another two summers here so I want to get the bike where I want it and I guess I will make a decision closer to time to go home. In the meantime I am enjoying the warm weather and the long straight roads even if the car drivers are maniacs.
We love it here.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:26 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Not so difficult. UK belongs to the EU. EU regulations prevail. Vehicle >6 months registered in your posession outside the EU and (I have read somewhere) exceeded 6000 kilometers with the vehicle in your posession, it is seen as 'house hold' vehicle, no taxes, no VAT, no import duties. But, the Customs will try to f..ck you, no doubt. Save all your registrations and foreign license plates, proof that you were living in practice over 6 months outside the UK (although you may be registered as UK residence theoretically). The thing what counts, is that you can proof black on white that your residence IN PRACTICE was outside the UK. Bank slips with your name and adress, ID-cards from the foreind country, naming your name and foreign address..Everything what can officially convince them that your residence IN PRACTICE was outside the EU will help. I am on the blink of doing the same and went deep, very deep into this cause my Harley will move with me too.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:37 AM
Denek
Stage IV

Thanks Bart sounds promising.