General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 week old dealer saga and still going...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Cowboynj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 week old dealer saga and still going...

July 26th I left my house and rode 30 miles to meet some guys for a ride. I arrived at the dealer we were meeting and went in for a beer while the stragglers arrived. Went out to start the bike and it just turned over. The dealer took it in and an hour later pronounced one of my friends had switched plug wires. (by the way, I don't have friends like that). Everyone mounted up, and I went into service to start it up, and it just turned over...again. I told them to switch the wires back and keep it.

Two days later I call (they don't call me) and hear they have ordered a fuel pressure regulator. It will take a week to get here. I ask is there a faster supplier and was told for $25 they could overnight it. Can't believe I had t ask. The part arrives and they hope to get me on the road Friday...3pm Friday it's not running. Not sure what it is.

The next week I walk in and am told they have ordered a coil and ECM
and that's another week. Those parts arrive and they can only get the rear cylinder to fire. Since I like riding V-twins with even numbers of working cylinders the work continues.

Aug 9 they call and say I have a bent pushrod. I ask is anything else bent or damaged and they say no. So this past weekend I am expecting to get my bike back and when I call at noon they are not pleased that I am pressing for a delivery date, but finally they say 8/19. Three bike less weekends. Miss the roundup.

Sunday I drive over there and am told..."oh, we were about to call you". I now have a bent valve and guides. I spent 20 minutes with the mechanic and looked at everything. He says the cam needle bearings were going bad and that allowed the cam to walk and caused the bent pushrod, etc.

I call the extended warranty folks (hell yeah, I bought it) and told them I want a new head. After much bitching it's approved and today I hear the heads are back ordered until 8/24.

I'm no mechanic, but this seems a bit ham fisted for the subject matter experts on Harley Davidson Motorcycles. On a car I check for fuel and spark. I don't go ordering plugs wires and fuel pumps.

Am I off base? I've owned 9 bikes (two HDs) in 35 years of riding and combined they were not in the shop two weeks, an that was ALL for performance work. I've never had a bike quit on me. It's a stock 2012 Road Glide Custom with SE 255 cams, heavy breather and Vance and Hines true duals. I bought it with 8k miles and it now has 20k.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions? I did see they did not put the SE cam support plate on with the cam. Had I done it I would have done roller rockers and the cam support plate, but I bought it like this from a guy.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:43 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

"I arrived at the dealer we were meeting and went in for a beer"
Your Harley Dealer sells beer? And they are open on Sunday?

Let's see, you rode it in,, and now it needs a major warranty repair job(?)
Sorry Dude,, this stinks,,,

Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Is this the dealer in GSO? or somewhere else? Sounds like the parts dept and mechs need to get on the same sheet of music.

"Serenity now, serenity now"

Old 08-18-2015, 06:13 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
"I arrived at the dealer we were meeting and ...
Let's see, you rode it in,, and now it needs a major warranty repair job(?)
Sorry Dude,, this stinks,,,

It bent a rod and a valve and tore out the valve guides sitting in the parking lot?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,195 Likes on 11,116 Posts

Sounds like the bike was sick before you rode to the dealer.
Bent valves, bent pushrod suggests more to the story.

Last edited by upflying; 08-18-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Somethings not right here.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Low post count + an incompetent "Stealership" story = Shenanigans

Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you sign an estimate when they took the bike in originally? Generally, if they find an issue that'll change the cost of the estimate by more than 10 percent, they have to call you first. Otherwise, they're doing the work for free.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:00 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Don't know what your definition of "stock" is. It's not a stock Road Glide if it has 255 cams, heavy breather and duals. The installation of those cams would be suspect, considering that the pushrods were involved. And since it was done by the guy you bought it from you have no recourse, much less any idea if it was done right.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

BS story.

Quick Reply: 4 week old dealer saga and still going...