General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Code Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Engine Code Help

I searched and didn't find exactly what I was needing so I am posting this here to hopefully get more traffic/answers. My 2007 Dyna FXD with 11K miles, Cycle Shack slip ons, stock AC threw two trouble codes this morning for the first time. Hopefully someone will know what causes this.

The two codes were P0131-Front O2 Sensor low (lean) and P0263-Rear Injector Open/Low EFI. The back story is bought the Dyna used with a very slight stumble. Installed a Fuel Moto unit and have spent the last 7 weeks chasing that. Fuel Moto is sending a new unit as mine may be faulty so I removed the current unit Monday night. Short test drive with no issues. The bike then sat for a day and half due to rain.

I started the bike this morning and let it idle for about 5 minutes. No check engine light. I rode about 2 miles to my first stop and shut the bike off. When I started the bike to leave a few minutes later, the check engine light remained on. This is the first time since I have owned the bike. I rode to work without issue which was about 2 miles.

I checked codes and did an internet search and did not find a reference to those two codes only together. So here I am looking for whatever information I can glean. Below is a list of things I have replaced on the bike prior to this without it throwing any codes.

Any thoughts?

Replaced:
All fuses coated with dielectric grease
All internals in the gas tank including hoses, fuel pump, regulator etc.
Intake manifold seals
Throttle Position Sensor
System Relay
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Neutral Safety Switch

Also have done:
Battery new in May
Cleaned IAC
Cleaned and checked battery cables coated with dielectric grease

Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Onramp
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never done this work on a motorcycle, but I have fixed several similar situations on european cars. The O2 sensor problem is probably due to the injector problem so don't worry about that for now. I just looked in the electrics shop manual for my '15 Limited, and there are a series of tests to be done to analyze the injector problem. On a car, you start with a noid light to see if the electrics on the injector are operating. On my 15, there are several specific tools used to do similar tests, including a breakout box. Since an automotive injection breakout box is a bit pricey, I suspect these Harley specific tools might be more expensive than a visit to the dealer.

Most automotive injectors can be rebuilt. I'm not sure if the injectors on our bikes are rebuildable, or even who would do that. My automotive experience tells me that it usually the mechanical parts in the injector that fail, not the electronics. You might try replacing the injector. Actually I recommend doing both if replacing the rear one solves the problem. The reason for this is fuel is usually the cause behind injector failure, especially on a low mile bike. Current fuel is crap (ethanol attracts water, which leads to corrosion of the metal parts in an injector, and the corrosive nature of the ethanol is hard on the plastic and rubber parts).

I am VERY interested to learn what the specific problem is and what it takes to solve it. Even if replacing the injectors fixes the problem, please post. I am subscribing.

Good luck. I know this stuff can be really frustrating.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:47 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this same problem. and I had to go with a sert. bike has run fine since. I have been told by dyno jet and others im crazy there is nothing wrong with a power commander on my bike. well its sitting in a box on my desk still and my sert with a dyno is still working fine.

anyhow it has something to do with the ecm not accepting the info the tuner is giving it. this is actually a common problem from what I have read in other forums. but as you had happen I was doing about 60 and the bike just shut down. unlike you I was never offered the chance to send the power commander back for a replacement or anything and mine was bought by me and not even a year old. all I was told was to update firm ware which I did. I also got cruise control codes and some other odd code. but its the power commander. sometimes they don't work with a bike I guess. im not gonna explain it more because I forget all the details as to what is actually going on but like I said its the power commander

Old 08-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Ok, I have solved the problem. Besides everything that I mentioned I changed above, I had to change a few other things as well. By a stroke of luck, I noticed my main fuel line to the injector rail hanging down last night. The line broke at the injector rail. Luckily I was not riding at the time.

I went to BH Harley this morning and paid over MSRP as usual for a new hose. While I had the tank up, I replaced the IAC, MAP, the injectors and the little air flow guy. I noticed my stock injectors had the same part number as the new ones but were not the same series (?) as the new ones. I left the PC from FuelMoto in.

The end result, the bike runs as new or better. If I was a betting man, it was a combo of the fuel line being cracked and the injectors.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:06 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.