General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on FF helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:17 AM
kustom78
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advice on FF helmets

Couldn't find a specific gear only section so hopefully general will do. I ride a 14 SGS in AZ where there is no helmet law so generally I don't wear one, but in oct. im riding to Vegas for bikefest. My issue is that yes I have a cheapo cycle gear built brand helmet and the noise inside the helmet drives me nuts! I've got a stage 1 set up v&h pro pipe with hi output slipons and the low exhaust sound buzz's my ears to no end. The wind noise is nothing compared to that, I'd like to try a good quality one with Bluetooth, B2B com and connects to my stereo that will drown out my exhaust. any advise? I also like having the internal shades.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:41 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,363 Likes on 2,203 Posts

I rode with a FF and switched to a modular at the beginning of the season. Best choice I made in a long time... I went with a Scorpion. Its cool, its quiet, I ride with the shield up and sunnys on. The field of vision is HUGE. They now make a super light weight model.... Oh, it has the internal shade...

Old 08-19-2015, 11:12 AM
charger426
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a kabuto ibuki modular helmet. Kind of expensive but unlike my last modular where my neck would hurt after 15-20 min I can ride all day with no pain.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Shoei GT Air

Look at the Shoei gt air...it's light weight, quite, well ventilated and has the internal visor....This my third season in it and I love mine...
Been wearing FF helmets since the 80's...mostly Shoei but Aria and HJC's as well...in fact I have a couple of HJC just like the my Shoei. My wife wears one and the other was my old one...
We have our Sena head sets on both the Shoei and HJC with no problem.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:36 PM
kustom78
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how are these with noise, not wind but exhaust noise? seems like with my FF its at least 3 times louder than with no helmet.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

They stop buffeting for sure. Shoei has a chin curtain that helps a lot. They both cancel out some road/exhaust noise but honesty I never looked at that.... The Arai helmet I have has thicker cheek pads and a pusher interior then any other helmet I've ever seen or worn... It definitely brings down the noise level but no interior sun shield (they only make exterior sun shields due to Snell ratings)...
I also wear ear plugs with any helmet I may wear... Not just for loud sound but hi frequency sounds that are just as if not more harmful IMO....

Old 08-20-2015, 05:31 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

go to the Revzilla website. They have lots of good info on helmets, fitting, etc. Lots of videos. Generally, a FF is lighter than a modular.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

If you can, try some on before buying. everyone doesn't have the same head or the same level of comfort. I like my Shoei helmet, but I tried on several before buying.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a funny shaped head, and Schuberth are the only FF helmets that fit me. But even with a FF helmet, I always wear ear plugs. Just a 20-30 minute ride in town (so no real wind noise) is enough to leave my ears ringing with V&H BSS, so I never ride without.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I also have a Schuberth helmet. Great, but expensive, product. Look at the views on Revzilla. Best information out there.

Quick Reply: advice on FF helmets