General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my Kryptonite... Gravel on the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:09 PM
quadrcr87
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found my Kryptonite... Gravel on the road

I am sad to report that I laid the Fatboy down a couple weeks ago. Sharp downhill right hand turn in Rist Canyon, CO. Turn was 20 MPH and I was going the speed limit. Had my poor wife on the back as well. I slowed down before entering the turn and had the lean angle set. As we hit the apex of the turn, the back tire came right out from under us. My wife told me she felt like we were set up for the turn right and didn't feel like we were pushing it at all. After the accident we saw a lot of sand and loose gravel in the turn.
First responders said they have 5-10 crashes on this corner a year with motorcycles. Most hit the guard rail with a lot of speed and the guardrail has to get replaced every 3 years. I am very thankful I slowed down to the speed limit before I entered the turn, my bike stopped before it got to the guard rail. You can see the scrape mark form the crash bar in the photo.

Injuries: Wife had some scrapes on her forearms, wrist, and ankle. She was wearing a helmet, jeans, tennis shoes, and a long sleeve shirt.
I had some scrapes on my forearms and fractured my humorous at the top where enters the joint. I was wearing a helmet, leather boots, jeans, a tee shirt, and riding gloves. Should heal up in 4 more weeks.

The bike: Bent and scrapped crash bar, scraped hand grip end cap, mirror, brake lever, exhaust, and floor board. No paint damage as the bike slid on the crash bar and exhaust. Handle bars hit right when it came down but that was it. Already replaced most of it, just need to order a new crash bar. Had a Rinehart 2:1 installed in Sturgis and replaced the mirrors with Arlen Ness Rad III. Mirrors not installed in the photo.

I have rode the bike a couple times since the crash but need to take it easy until I heal up. Wife said she will ride again in the spring. Not trying to get anything out of this post other than to share my experience and to let everyone know that I was lucky not to be seriously injured. Keep the rubber side down.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:23 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to get out with relatively minor injuries. From your description others have not faired so well.

I know photos can trick the eye, but the road appears off camber in the first picture. If that's the case it would explain the crash history.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:34 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Your right about the photo...it sure would explain the accidents.

Last edited by GeneseeGap; 08-19-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:44 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad everone is basically OK. There are several curves in my area that ALWAYS have sandy grit on them. I've learned to approach them more conservatively than normal. I suspect you'll do the same the next time you come up on this one. ;-)

Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM
quadrcr87
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct, it is off camber. This was the 3rd time I have been through this turn and have always treated it with respect. A little gravel is all it takes in a tight turn. On the outside of the turn, it drops straight off a hill on the other side of the guard rail with trees and boulders. If a bike hit the rail and flipped, it would be totaled.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:35 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Always perform a surface appraisal when riding. On and off ramps are especially bad.
Some demented folks who hate riders will pour oil on the twisties.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:38 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Gravel is EVEYONE'S kryptonite! Glad you're okay!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by quadrcr87
You are correct, it is off camber. This was the 3rd time I have been through this turn and have always treated it with respect. A little gravel is all it takes in a tight turn. On the outside of the turn, it drops straight off a hill on the other side of the guard rail with trees and boulders. If a bike hit the rail and flipped, it would be totaled.
Not much you can do with the geometry of an off camber road except slow way the hell down. Add gravel and it's a ski slope. I see you're near Estes Park, awesome roads in your backyard. I lost my clutch on the 550 two weeks ago coming over the pass into Silverton. Love your state.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:45 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

It looks like it could have had a more disasterous outcome but I'm glad for you it didn't. Another thing to keep your eyes out for are leaves, especially wet ones in the Fall.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gravel on roads gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach. I have been nearly done in a number of times; its especially bad after a heavy rain - and we get powerful storms in PA.

The feeling of the rear wheel slipping out under me is horrible. Too many times it has happened. Turning involves a balance between looking through the turn and scanning for gravel ~ very tricky to accomplish.

Quick Reply: Found my Kryptonite... Gravel on the road