General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip

Hey everyone,

A buddy and myself are planning a road trip in September to attend the Reno Air Races.

We are leaving from Phoenix and plan to break up the ride over 2 days. I was looking at reasonable stopping points and it seems that Las Vegas is a bit too close to Phoenix for an overnight stop - that would leave a bunch of miles for the next day.

We are taking 93 through Wickenberg and then the 95 out of Vegas.

Any ideas on route out of Vegas like more scenic or places to stop for the night? It did not look like there were a ton of towns once you head out of Vegas.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't know those other towns much, but the one that pops in my mind is Tonopah. Some of the towns in Nevada are pretty small. I assume you are going up 95/93 in Nevada...? From what I could see California only adds about 1 hr. Think less than that. Either way I hope you like desert! LOL

Old 08-20-2015, 09:02 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I don't know those other towns much, but the one that pops in my mind is Tonopah. Some of the towns in Nevada are pretty small. I assume you are going up 95/93 in Nevada...? From what I could see California only adds about 1 hr. Think less than that. Either way I hope you like desert! LOL
thanks and yes - the most direct route appears to be 93 to 95, but it did look like one could take some other highways and maybe be more along the state line?

I live in Phoenix so the desert is what I know :-)

I am sure it will still be a bit hot even in mid September, but get cooler as we get near Reno - at least that is my thought.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Highway 395 through the Sierras to Reno is incredible riding. Take your woolies, temps change quickly. Lots to see and do along that route if you consider going that way.

http://www.scenic395.com/

Last edited by OKMICK; 08-20-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Highway 395 through the Sierras to Reno is incredible riding. Take your woolies, temps change quickly. Lots to see and do along that route if you consider going that way.

http://www.scenic395.com/
Thanks - noticed that on the map and was wondering. I think it will take us out of the way a bit, but that might be well worth it.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:40 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Gilbert

If you can find the time it is definitely worth the ride. Beautiful country, old western style towns you'll go through,etc. Very scenic.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:39 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Gilbert

If you can find the time it is definitely worth the ride. Beautiful country, old western style towns you'll go through,etc. Very scenic.

Good luck and ride safe.
Yep - sounds like a plan. Already "re-mapping" it to include that section. Only adds about 30 - 40 miles and looks like we could shoot up through Tahoe.

I like it

Old 08-20-2015, 01:14 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Looking at the map, I don't see a good halfway spot to spend the night. Personally, I would probably break it up into 3, maybe 4 days and go through Death Valley.

I really like Bishop and have stayed there a couple of times.

You couldn't pay me to take the 95 out of Vegas.

My route would be...

- PHX to Baker, CA via Laughlin. The ride from Laughlin through Searchlight to the I-15 is actually a really nice ride. There's a great Med food place right there at the Badwater Basic Rd exit.
- Baker to Bishop, CA. The ride from Baker to Badwater Basin on Badwater Rd is surreal. Depending on how much time you want to spend in Death Valley... Ride through Furnace Creek, then Stove Pipe Wells on your way to Panamint Springs. If you take some time in DV, stay in Panamint; otherwise, ride on to Bishop, CA (love that town).
- From Bishop, take the 395 to Reno. It is a very nice ride. If you have some time, take the detour around June Lake. If you wanted to stay in Carson City: it is close enough :-)

ETA
An alternative route would be...

- PHX to Pahrump, NV. Not nearly as nice a ride though.
- Pahrump to Bishop, CA. It is not as spectacular as Badwater Basic Rd, but the Dante's Peak detour is still pretty good.

Last edited by keith_stepp; 08-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:57 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Great stuff Keith - thanks!

One constraint we do have is that we want to be in Reno Wednesday night for the races on Thursday and Friday. So I will look at your route and see if it can be done in 2 400 mile (about) days.

Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:55 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Yeah I figured you were cool with desert! LOL
You're going to be cold in Reno, especially if you end up anywhere near Lake Tahoe! I've got family in AZ and I know how they bundle up in the winter.
You could always go up one way and back another.
The 395 doesn't appear to add much time. I would think totally doable in 2 days, unless I'm looking at it wrong. I don't know how much you like do as you go traveling, but you could just go until you find a hotel where you want to stop. Sometimes you get better rates by walking in anyway.

Quick Reply: Road Trip