General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling guilty tonight

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Freakin Deacon
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Feeling guilty tonight

I was leading a small group of friends( 5 bikes) on a ride today. We were first at a red light in the left turning lane at a busy intersection. when the light turned green, I turned left: there was an oncoming car I really did not see, the second bike stopped, but the third bike turned left and was hit by a car just behind her leg. The car was moving fast and never even braked. She was knocked off the bike and luckily is only bruised with a few scratches. The bike( Softail Deluxe) was rideable, damage to pipes, Saddle bags, floorboard, pegs. She was shaken up but able to ride about 50 miles home.
I do believe in a group ride, every rider is responsible for their own ride and safety. But I also feel as lead I should never have put her into that position.
The rider is a woman and a dear friend to my wife and I . We have ridden thousands of miles with her and she is a very capable rider
She was cited for failure to yield.
I'm trying to get my head around my actions and make it a learning experience. I guess ill have all the knowledge and experience I need right around the time i'm no longer able to ride.
Thanks for reading.as I get this off my chest!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Eye_m_no_angel
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad your friend is relatively okay, and that this story didn't have a much worse ending.

Other people will pick apart what you did, and discuss who's at fault for doing what, and what could have been done differently, and so forth and so on. Don't get caught up in that trap. Your anguish tells me that your intentions were good and that your heart is in the right place.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Every rider should ride their own ride. I frequently ride with others that will pull out into traffic from a side road and there is only room for them, or change lanes, or turn left. I check for myself before I follow them blindly.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:45 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Well, that sucks. Sounds like she got lucky that it wasn't any worse.

As for the rest, give it a few days and see how things feel.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:46 PM
hkb
Road Captain

Received 447 Likes on 190 Posts

Not sure I understand where she was hit, in the intersection or the turn lane? Regardless, I don't see how you can feel guilty for what happened. The good thing is that she wasn't injured seriously.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Situation like that, I'd lay the blame at the feet of the rider. However, it concerns me as my wife starts making motions that she's interested in riding. What if it was your significant other you were on a side by side ride. I'd feel pretty crappy for hanging her out to dry.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Group ride or not, you are responsible for your own actions.

This applies to everybody that rides a motorcycle.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:51 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
Situation like that, I'd lay the blame at the feet of the rider. However, it concerns me as my wife starts making motions that she's interested in riding. What if it was your significant other you were on a side by side ride. I'd feel pretty crappy for hanging her out to dry.
He didn't hang her out to dry. Apparently the lead rider had room to turn left, but the next rider did not. The OP said that the second rider stopped, but the third rider turned left in front of the oncoming car and was hit. Unless the OP got the second and third riders reversed, the rider that was struck was 100% at fault for turning left in front of oncoming traffic. Not to mention that she apparently passed the second rider will turning.

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Group ride or not, you are responsible for your own actions.

This applies to everybody that rides a motorcycle.
This ^^.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:02 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Every rider is responsible for themselves. I only went on one group ride. I didn't like it, because they went through red lights with no police control. I stopped, then had to speed in rain to catch up.
Was the car cited for speeding?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think about this. If you were 3rd, would you have done the same as the girl did? Most likely not. I don't care if you are a male or a female, you don't go out of formation and you cut in front of cars. (They don't give a rats) I have had the lead more times than I care to say, but it is not that often that you can get the whole group through a left handed turn. So, you go when you can, pull over and wait.

Quick Reply: Feeling guilty tonight