General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fouled spark plug, rear cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 AM
hiwaycruzer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fouled spark plug, rear cylinder

Greetings from Chattanooga, my fellow Harley enthusiasts!
I'm a newby to this forum and, at 61 years old, answered the call of the wild and bought my first Harley Davidson, a 1995 FLSTN. I had a choice between putting the cash we saved into needed upgrades to our 53 year-old house or a Harley. My priorities won out. My wife's did not...
Now to the issue at hand. The rear cylinder's spark plug keeps failing. I've only racked up about 100 miles, short rides(10-12 miles) around the neighborhood and a few 60mph sprints on local county roads. Yesterday I had to put a second new spark plug in the rear jug after it quit firing. The electrodes and ceramic center of the original HD 5R6A plug were coated with black soot, so I figured I had run the manual choke too long causing it to foul out. When I looked at the replacement plug (Autolite 4265) that only had about 50 miles on it there wasn't any black soot as seen previously on the original HD plug. However, as before, the old girl started right up with a new plug. At this point, I'm hesitant to go anywhere without carrying a new spark plug and socket wrench in my pockets. I'm also worried I'll ruin the spark plug threads in the aluminum head with frequent spark plug replacement(even tho I apply Never-Seize to the threads and don't over-torque the spark-plug when installing).
I'd like to know if rear cylinder spark plug failure is a known issue caused by a rich running carb, a bad coil, bad spark plug wires, or combination thereof. Or perhaps I need to install premium plugs...
The engine has an Andrews cam and hi-performance ignition(prev owner couln't provide any other details as to exactly which cam or ign. syst.). It pulls strong when accelerating, but has a slight miss at light throttle and at steady speeds. It idles OK at stops as long as it's hitting on both cylinders.
I have basic engine repair and maintenance experience, a decent set of automotive repair tools, and a rudimentary understanding of ignition systems(don't grab the end of a spark plug wire when the engine is turning over) if this helps anyone who is willing to put into words any advice on how to proceed from here.
Thanks kindly, and Semper Fi!

Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM
hiwaycruzer
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input, guys...
After doing some research on other forums, I checked the resistance in the rear jug's ignition wire and found it fluctuated wildly when flexed. I also found a hot spot where it rubbed against the forward cylinder's wire. So I ordered a new set of wires from Amazon; Sumax ThunderVolt 50 by Taylor 8.2mm High Performance Wire
Will update this thread after I install and evaluate them.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you figured it out. It's tough to get a lot of technical replies during working hours. You probably would have received more later in the evening. Let us know if the new plug wires fix the problem. Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 PM
hiwaycruzer
Cruiser

Thanks Thumper09,
I thought there'd be some older retirees like myself during the day... guess not.
All the same I appreciate your heads-up and will let y'all know the results in a week or so.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,385 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Keep an eye on the corrosion that hides side the boot. Also, my rear cyl is starting to use oil, causing the plug to gunk up. I have a lot of miles on my 1995 Dyna also. I change plugs about every 15 to 20,000 miles.
Wires do rub on each other, causing wear also. Cheap to have a couple plugs already gapped and ready to go. I've had HD plugs fail for no reason at all. Left me stranded on I-5 once. Went and bought NGK plugs. I've been using them for 10+ years. But, it is getting "hesitant" to start lately. Maybe it's time for some more plugs!

NGK BPR5ES is what I use.
According to the owner's manual (the same book is for your FL)~
The gap is .038" to .043"

Replace plugs every 10,000 miles (gotta do that!)

Torque to 18-22 ft. lbs.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 08-25-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM
hiwaycruzer
Cruiser

Thanks Norty Flatz, I appreciate the tips!
The plug wires currently installed have the letter "H" on them, probably 20 year-old OEM wires. I'm hoping the new hi-perf plug wires mentioned earlier will solve the problem. Maybe I'll install a set of NGK's to go with them.

I spent some time on the I-5 parking lot in So Cal many years ago('79,'80,'81). I imagine it's gotten a lot worse since then. Have no desire to go back there to find out. Helluva place to break down...

Old 08-25-2015, 07:07 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

How did the front plug look? Was it indicating a good mixture from the carb? Changing the plug wires would be a good start.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine gets a bit sooty as well, but I check tem regularly and my carb runs rich - winter project. I carry an extra set of plugs on the bike in case I ever need them. Welcome, and hope the wires work.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:02 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I use only three brands of spark plugs in my HD's.
1 Bosch
2 NGK
3 Champion
in these sequence..
Never had any problems with spark plugs whatsoever...(knock on wood)

The following users liked this post:
Zoltan Nandor Bone (05-16-2021)
Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Quick Reply: Fouled spark plug, rear cylinder