General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you tell

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:45 AM
smitty8202
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell

Not sure if this the right place to ask this but figured it would get the most feed back. 2 part question.
1) How can you tell if a 96ci engine has been upgraded with a stage 1 kit just by looking at it. Dealer said it has it on it. But I don't know a lot about engines and what not so I don't know.

2) so I am looking at a 2008 Street Glide with 36,000 miles has 4pt docking hardware upgraded stereo Miscellaneous chrome and willie g badges. Here's the link to the ad http://www.biggsh-d.com/used/Harley-...4f46cb6a19.htm
They are offering me $15,225 otd. Seems a little high for an 08 but doesn't have a lot of miles on it. I rode the bike on Saturday. Dealership was swamped and the guy I was working with was in the middle of a deal and told me to take it for a ride and just come back when I get enough. Haha. Took it on a good 75 mile ride or so. Handled like a dream. Felt very comfortable and safe on it compared to my 883. So I guess the question here is is the bike worth the price. I know people are gonna say they can get it cheaper but I'm in southern California and bikes here seem to be priced a little higher than other places. So I gotta work with what i gots.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:51 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

2) sorry, can't help you

1) Changes to the exhaust should be obvious, like a whole new system or just slipons.
If the intake is stock, the filter element can be replaced with a high flow one. It should say something on the filter body that gives a clue.
A tuner can be flashed to the EMC, in which case it might be hard to tell. It could also have a piggyback tuner that is hooked up to the ECM. Pretty easy to see that.
If it has a dealer download, the dealer can tell you that.
In fact, why don't you ask the dealer to prove to you what the bike has to designate it a Stage 1. It's their claim, have them back it up.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Dan.1977P
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1: I've never seen a stock air cleaner but I've been told there is a shroud of plastic somewhere between the AC (or the AC itself) and is replaced with an AC without the restrictions. Also, to be complete stage 1, the exhaust needs to be upgraded to let the air out that the new AC is allowing in.

2: No idea but you don't have to buy in Cali just because you live there. Just need to make sure your bike is commie legal and will pass emissions and safety inspections there.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow 8 year old bike with 36k for like $5k less than what you could get a 2015 SG leftover? And 36k isn't low miles. 10k is. I'd look around more

Old 08-25-2015, 12:19 PM
smitty8202
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan.1977P
2: No idea but you don't have to buy in Cali just because you live there. Just need to make sure your bike is commie legal and will pass emissions and safety inspections there.
I have thought about buying out of state but how do I know the bike is cali legal. Home of record is washington and still a resident there so may just register it there. Gotta look into this

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Wow 8 year old bike with 36k for like $5k less than what you could get a 2015 SG leftover? And 36k isn't low miles. 10k is. I'd look around more
What do you think I should talk them down to or what can I use for negotiation power.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Dan.1977P
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty8202
I have thought about buying out of state but how do I know the bike is cali legal. Home of record is washington and still a resident there so may just register it there. Gotta look into this
I wish I could tell you but I'll never live in that God forsaken state so I don't know all the rules. From what I've seen, just about any mod we would normally do isn't legal in Cali. I'm actually surprised a stage one is even legal since it's intent is to start the bypassing process the EPA requires and I thought Cali required full EPA compliance. Plus noise, maybe ape hanger height and heaven forbid you are seen with a pistol on your hip if your shirt flaps up (assuming you can even get a permit)

Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 PM
smitty8202
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan.1977P
I wish I could tell you but I'll never live in that God forsaken state so I don't know all the rules. From what I've seen, just about any mod we would normally do isn't legal in Cali. I'm actually surprised a stage one is even legal since it's intent is to start the bypassing process the EPA requires and I thought Cali required full EPA compliance. Plus noise, maybe ape hanger height and heaven forbid you are seen with a pistol on your hip if your shirt flaps up (assuming you can even get a permit)
And that's why I think I would have better luck in Washington.