General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar end cruise assist

Old 08-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bar end cruise assist

Hello guys, just looking for some input here. I have an Iron 883 and I was thinking of installing kuryakn grips and their bar end cruise assist. I will be doing the work myself and I heard it's not hard to do at all. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's experiences have been with this cruise assist. I found out I need new grips after putting 13" shocks on the rear because my hands have started to get numb. I'm hoping this will help and I occasionally do 2 hours or so of highway and I feel like the cruise assist would be nice to have as well.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

The cruise assist might help you, although it may be other causes causing the numbness. I'd assume you're thinking about the throttle boss. Most HDs already have a throttle lock ****. Have you tried using that? Or do the later models not have those anymore?
I've been through a few incarnations of grips, bars, throttle controls etc to allieviate some minor hand numbness.

Chief among causes of numbness might be too tight a grip on the bar. Make a conscious effort to relax your grip. Another cause, especially if you've raised the ***-end, it too much weight on your hands now. Bar risers might even that out. It can be a delicate balancing act.

The Iso grips are pretty good. They have a very substantial feel in your hands, and that feature might allow you to relax the grip a bit

Old 08-25-2015, 05:31 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,014 Likes on 11,048 Posts

The only "cruise" I use is the thumbwheel under the right grip..

Old 08-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Well I rode sportbikes before and I have learned not to be too heavy on the bars but I do find myself holding too tight on occasion. However, I was trying to figure out what exactly was happening. I found that even being light on the bars, my hands still got numb. It has only happened on the interstate or while just holding at a constant speed without adjusting grip for a while. I guess that's why I'm hoping grips will help and I guess cruise control wouldn't hurt either but I'll do one thing at a time. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:21 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Mike on this...

I don't like cruise control on anything, car or bike...

Cruise control separates you from the machine and I WANT constant communication from the machine, even feedback relating to my own inputs.

The ISO grips allow one to have a cam-advantaged input to the throttle, reducing strain on the hand and fingers, while allowing the bike to respond (and thereby alert you) to any modulation you are putting into the throttle. Reduces hand strain (although you are still allowed to over-stress your throttle hand, if you're like me). It is a constant reminder to relax the hand enough to prevent strain, but not so much as to lose informational input from the throttle.

That, as well as my peg stirrups, are my two most beneficial mods.

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 08-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Originally Posted by kiltiemon
I'm with Mike on this...

I don't like cruise control on anything, car or bike...

Cruise control separates you from the machine and I WANT constant communication from the machine, even feedback relating to my own inputs.

The ISO grips allow one to have a cam-advantaged input to the throttle, reducing strain on the hand and fingers, while allowing the bike to respond (and thereby alert you) to any modulation you are putting into the throttle. Reduces hand strain (although you are still allowed to over-stress your throttle hand, if you're like me). It is a constant reminder to relax the hand enough to prevent strain, but not so much as to lose informational input from the throttle.

That, as well as my peg stirrups, are my two most beneficial mods.

Jim aka kiltiemon
Thanks for the advice.