General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Becoming a care giver makes me think about selling the bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Becoming a care giver makes me think about selling the bike

Brought my wife to our doctor last month because I could tell something was not right, had been going on for about 6 weeks. She just really slowed down mentally, everything she did she took a long time thinking about it before she would do anything. Can no longer put her helmet on without help. Can't tie her own shoes or put a watch on by herself. We've been to two neurologist, the last one at Mayo Clinic. They both suspect Jacob's disease, a devasting disease that has no treatment no cure. Jacob's disease is very difficult to diagnose but she has tested negative for every thing else, nine pages of lab tests. We are waiting on results of a second spinal tap, looking for the protein that causes the disease. She has been told to stop driving and quit working. We still go for short day trips but I am becoming concerned about her own balance, she does seem to get disoriented some times. Obviously we ride less and less all the time. I've probably put 200 miles on the bike in the last month and it seems like I am going to get less and less riding time if this disease progresses. I may become fulltime care giver. I just bought the bike last October and was really looking forward to chewing up the miles this summer, that's not going to happen.

Thanks all for letting share. I think my only point in all this is do what you want to do while you still can because your ability isn't always dependent on just your own health. I love my wife. Being her care giver is a no brainer, I chose her care over my bike, it's not even a question. But looking at that great bike just setting in the corner going unridden does sting a bit.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

You've got a lot on your plate right now. Keep the scoot, garage it, if your expenses allow you to do so. Some of us been where you are right now, it's rough on the mind.
Regards

Old 08-30-2015, 11:34 AM
JHP
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I can hear/feel your pain. From what you've written you certainly sound like you have the strength to carry on and do whatever is required of you to care for your wife. If it is at all financially possible, keep your ride... there will be times when you might just want to get on it to clear your head or for some personal reflection. As a care-giver it is MOST important to take care of yourself, mentally and physically, to be of help to anyone. Also, you might ask yourself if your wife would want you to part with your ride. tthe bike will wait for you. Good Luck!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:37 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Very sorry to read about your wife's health issues. And you are very right in taking on the role of caregiver - family and close friends rank a little higher on the priority list than our riding passion. But like the previous posters wrote, if it's within your means, keep the bike in the garage and ride on those days when you just need to 'clear your mind.' Well wishes to you and your wife in the days ahead.
~

Old 08-30-2015, 11:53 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,909 Likes on 21,308 Posts

Sorry to hear what your wife and you are having to endure.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:55 AM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hang in there man.. you may need that scoot to ride and clear your head from time to time.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,831 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Not much one can say here , you and the wife have my best wish's.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:11 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Your wife is lucky to have you, tough road ahead and I hope they can figure out what's wrong. The bike can sit for awhile, it's not a crime. Throw some stabil in the fuel if worried. Good luck with this.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Prayers to your wife for the comfort and and for you in the upcoming days during your care for her and for patience while you care for your wife. Put the bike in a corner for now, maybe cover it and tend to your wife. The bike can wait for you.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:31 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by bgup619
Hang in there man.. you may need that scoot to ride and clear your head from time to time.

Quick Reply: Becoming a care giver makes me think about selling the bike