General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group ride d-bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:40 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Group ride d-bags

So annoying there is nothing worse then being on a single lane highway riding along and comming up to a large group ride that is going the speed limit or a little under the speed limit leaving no way to pass.
I am not knocking someone for driving the speed limit that's fine the law is the law, and I am not picking on group rides they are not for me but to each their own.
That being said however when you are in a group of around 20-30 bikes instead of taking over an entire section of road and basically screwing over any other vehicle on the highway with you. Leave a few large noticeable gaps in your group allowing faster riders / motorist to pass, it's just commen decency and it's not going to force people to make risky passing attempts to get around you keeping people in the group ride and other people on the road safe

Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Sounds like you need a few more years in the saddle. Maybe that whining in you will subside.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Sounds like you need a few more years in the saddle. Maybe that whining in you will subside.
I've been on bikes for 14 years I just need people to be more considerate

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

if your in your car, sit back and turn the radio up and enjoy the scenery. if you are on another bike you can always get around, pick a spot and gas it.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:38 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Doubt that even the best group of riders would have the ability to leave gaps for people to slide into. I know if a car merged into a group of bikes it would not only be unsafe but would likely result in someone getting in trouble. They probably take up the same distance/length as a tractor and trailer so if I couldn't get around them and didn't want to ride with them I'd pull over, sit 5 minutes and let them get far enough ahead and resume my ride.

When we did long convoy's in tactical military trucks over the interstates nothing pissed us off more than cars threading needles and cutting into our convoys.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Some of the worst things I've had happen to me/near me while on a bike happened during group rides.

If the group is moving too slow, leaving gaps in the formation will encourage drivers to pass into those gaps. Very quickly you'll have your formation spread out with cars mixed in. You've just lost your formation and now things can get really interesting as your riders try to pass the cars to catch up and more cars pass into your formation trying to get around it. Good things are not going to come from this mess.

The best thing would be to keep a tight (safe spacing) formation and periodically pull off the road to let traffic get by if it is becoming too much of a problem behind you.

I will very seldom ride with more than 1 or 2 other people. I'm not going to be anywhere close to a group of 20 bikes.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

If they are going the speed limit you've got nothing to whine about.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Sounds like the "I'm more important than you" syndrome. Get over yourself.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:01 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't be worse than driving in an Army covoy with governers on all the motors on the Autobaun.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sucherman
Couldn't be worse than driving in an Army covoy with governers on all the motors on the Autobaun.
Now that is truly a fun driving experience! "What was that blur that just flashed by?"

Quick Reply: Group ride d-bags