General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike, mod, mod, mod...SELL!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts
Default New bike, mod, mod, mod...SELL!

I was recently in the market for a used bike. Started checking out the local dealerships and was blown away by the number of bikes there and elsewhere that had $800, $1,000, even $2,000 plus in mods on 'em...and had virtually NO miles on them.

I can understand one or two...but the damn things are everywhere! Don't people read up or test ride before they buy? I found my '13 with some nice mods on it and only 1,074 miles. Saw a Slim with 46 miles on it. Forty-six miles. Bunches of them with 2K or 3K miles...

I've only managed to get in about 12-13,000 miles a year lately, but I just can't figure out why so many people spend so much money and then don't ride...

Weird.

But sure makes for a nice used bike market for the rest of us, I guess.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Keep in mind that not everybody is broke.
Some people buy new "toys" whenever they get in the mood.

Low mile used HD's have always been around.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I know some people that have spent tons in mods and don't ride much at all. Others have modified the bike then got laid off, wife got pregnant etc. There's a whole lot of reasons people part with low mileage modded bikes. There loss is the new buyers gain in some cases.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea, saw a bunch of these when I stopped in at my local dealer yesterday as well. Must be some people out there with cash to burn.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Yeah, I know there are circumstances that can force a sale (been close to a few of 'em myself) - but a 2-3 year old bike with only 1,000 miles? Or a year old and 46 miles? Crazy.

But like ya said - good for us.

It just surprised me how many there were out there.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:07 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

It is not unlike many of us that purchase a new ''starter kit'' modify it then sell/trade for another new ''starter kit'' months later. This revolving exchange is great for the secondary market. Considering the '13 that you picked up, you should be glad for this cycle.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:13 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,060 Likes on 11,070 Posts

Some of those bikes could be repos.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

We're looking to move to an ultra so blows 2500 in mods. But I figure you don't really move up from an ultra and the wife has been extremely uncomfortable lately. Plus we need tunes!!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Just read this forum. New models come out and people just have to have them because they are so much better than the previous. (Who cares when you put on 2500 miles a year?) And everyone says 'If you can afford it, why not...' Well - Most people can't afford it.. and they blow thousands of dollars because they are stupid to be honest. They reset their payments for another 5 years and think they got a great deal because their payment stays the same..

Rich people didn't get that way because they make stupid decisions. One older guy I ride with does buy a new bike every 2 years.. but he rides like 25,000 miles a year, and doesn't do ANY mods, because as he admits, its a complete waste of money. He pays cash for each new bike. I'm guessing almost every one of these bikes you see on the showroom floor have been financed and people just keep rolling that over from bike to bike because they can 'afford the payment'.

And we wonder why nobody has any retirement money put aside. They'll worry about it when they are 70 years old and have no income and start voting for the guy that will give them the most cash because they planned poorly.

(My biased opinion as a 40 year old saving for retirement)

Old 09-04-2015, 03:05 PM
103inches
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
. I'm guessing almost every one of these bikes you see on the showroom floor have been financed and people just keep rolling that over from bike to bike because they can 'afford the payment'.
+1 on that...it's just an accounting trick really, rolling over the prior loan into a new one...the dealer laughing all the way to (their) bank...because people don't understand what their signing.

This is where dealers make their money: repeat customers who endlessly "upgrade" on one side of the coin, and get a well-disguised (but crappy) trade-in deal on the other.

Quick Reply: New bike, mod, mod, mod...SELL!