General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn between H-D and Triumph

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,789 Likes on 3,576 Posts
Default Torn between H-D and Triumph

I know, I know- sacrilege in this part of town, but as long as I've been plotting and scheming to get an H-D (883) I've recently been taking more notice of the Triumphs, specifically the Bonneville. At 53, it's down to 'bad boy' versus 'gentleman motorcyclist'!

I've physically comfortable on both, performance is comparable, both have loads of character, so it's a toss up on those points. Price-wise, an 883 is almost 1K more expensive out the door, and that's not including any accessories or engine upgrades that seem to be almost required, while the Bonneville seems ready to go as-is.

I suppose one of my issues is that, having 2 H-D dealerships in town, I'm practically swimming in loud pipes and leather and while the H-D community is huge I don't want to be 'just another mid-life crisis guy on a Harley' (and yes, you know the kind I'm talking about). In that respect a Triumph is a statement in the other direction- to be an individual, you have to BE an individual.

The downside of a potential Triumph purchase, though, is that the nearest dealership is almost 2 hours away as opposed to the two H-D shops within just a few miles of me.

So, I suppose I'm looking for feedback either way to help me decide which way to jump. What are your thoughts on Sportster versus Bonneville and what pros and cons for either would you add to the mix?

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I fail to understand how having a dealer close (or not) is a deciding factor at all. I just don't get why so many people seem to put such a high importance on it. For me a dealer is nothing more than a necessary evil if I want to buy a new bike. I don't rely on them for parts, service, or even a free cup of coffee. Aside from warrantee issues I can't think of a single reason to darken a dealers door.

I say their both great bikes and just buy the one that speaks the loudest to you.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'll say what I always say to those who can't decide what to do...ride both, look at which one you can afford and decide for yourself which one makes you happiest.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by John S
while the H-D community is huge I don't want to be 'just another mid-life crisis guy on a Harley' (and yes, you know the kind I'm talking about). In that respect a Triumph is a statement in the other direction- to be an individual, you have to BE an individual.
get what you like the best. you're the one that has to ride it. how about one of each?

for the record, guys who are having 'a mid-life crisis', don't usually buy sporties.....

Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say ride both and see which one fits you the best .You are the only one that can make the choice . You might want to also try one of Harley's Dynas ,softails or even the superglide . Good Luck

Old 09-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

I'm keeping the Road Glide / King forever but at 150,000 plus miles its staying more local now. The bike going next to it this coming Spring '16 for the longer trips will be a Triumph Thunderbird. (I'm not too concerned about the accessing the Dealer for warranty issue either.)

Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

The Triumphs are nice bikes but, I won't have another motorcycle with a chain. Too dirty and too much maintenance.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:33 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,789 Likes on 3,576 Posts

On the issue regarding having a dealer nearby, I'm probably stuck in my maintenance mode from 30 some-odd years ago when I wasn't as handy with a wrench. Being an apartment dweller, though, work space would be at a minimum (unless I could get the thing into my living room )

As for the 'mid-life crisis' bike, I've always liked Sportsters (my second ride was a Sportster way back when, and for the longest time I kicked myself for selling it) and I'm not hung up on the rap Sporty's get as a 'beginner' or 'girls' bike. I'm also looking at what I need from a bike, and anything much bigger is just overkill- a low-end Dyna would be nice, but as I'm having to watch my budget that would be a stretch while Sportsters and Triumphs are in the zone.

All in all, it may literally come down to the flip of a coin- I like both bikes and I'd be happy to get around town on either one!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by John S

All in all, it may literally come down to the flip of a coin- I like both bikes and I'd be happy to get around town on either one!
You need to test ride both machines. The mid size Trumpets are going to feel much more nimble, I think.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I looked at Triumphs before I bought my first HD. I was comparing the Speedmaster to the Dyna so HD won the performance category. I also chose HD as I like to personalize my vehicles and HD offers ten times the aftermarket options. The final reason was resale value because we all eventually get bored and want something different. Trumpets are great bikes, good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Torn between H-D and Triumph