General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad finish on akoury 88

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Joe Dirt 14
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bad finish on akoury 88

has anybody had any problems with the finish on their akoury helmets? I have the 88 and have a place the size of your hand on top of helmet that is very sticky. the hotter it gets the stickier it gets. Mine is in matte black. Been talking via email with akoury but don't know if they are going to do anything about it. Hate to have to sand it down and paint it since I just got it this past spring. And cost me 125$. Guess we will see if Akoury will warranty their product or not.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Did you try washing it? Could be from something you had on your hand when you were putting it on.
If you can clean it off but screw up the finish, you can spray it with "Plasti Dip". Blends right in.
That's if they don't make good on it if it a manufacture defect.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I'd be more worried about the quality of what is under the finish if the finish itself is already failing.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:52 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Are they Made in China? That might explain a sub par quality. I wouldn't mess with it much, try and return it to whoever you bought it from if possible.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Did you try washing it? Could be from something you had on your hand when you were putting it on.
If you can clean it off but screw up the finish, you can spray it with "Plasti Dip". Blends right in.
That's if they don't make good on it if it a manufacture defect.

When you go buy your can of Plasti Dip check out the other colors too. My local Lowes carries more colors now. Might find a new color you want. If not they always do have the black.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
Are they Made in China? That might explain a sub par quality. I wouldn't mess with it much, try and return it to whoever you bought it from if possible.
There is no helmet that isn't made in Asia, most lower quality helmets are made in the same factories that make higher end helmets. They are just made to a specific spec is what makes them higher or lower quality.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default bad finish on akoury 88

I have a licks NovDot in a matte finish. Did the same thing. I think it's just matte finishes in general. Ended up using brake clean and took off all the matte finish. Doesn't look as pretty but at least it's not sticky.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,654 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
There is no helmet that isn't made in Asia, most lower quality helmets are made in the same factories that make higher end helmets. They are just made to a specific spec is what makes them higher or lower quality.

LOL, wrong. My Nolan 3/4 was made in Italy, and Schuberth helmets are made in Germany to name just two brands.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Joe Dirt 14
Tourer

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
they are suppose to be made in Canada. Im also from nc near mt. airy. what part of nc are you from?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:23 PM
GunnerB
Tourer

Matte helmet finishes tend to want to absorb things that touch them. Coupled with heat it tends to destroy the finish, making it sticky. My Biltwell did it. Heat exacerbates the problem. My akoury hasn't yet, as I am careful on what chemicals touch it and to clean it off when it does get something on it. In the high desert with 105 degree temps it didn't take long to ruin a matte helmets finish. I'm not a paint expert but the high end helmets probably have a better coating that helps prevent this, I haven't seen a matte black Shoei or the likes have this problem.

Quick Reply: bad finish on akoury 88