General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 up - Street bob or Street glide?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 AM
tatrhed
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 up - Street bob or Street glide?

Title says it all. It seems like I can get a bob and make just as comfortable as a glide. Put a new seat, upgrade suspension, add bags a windheild, and maybe pipes, AC and tuner to the bob for the price of a glide. Biggest factor is 2 up. I have done a lot of searching, and most threads end up back to solo riding. Below I have more in depth reasoning on how I came to my conclusions. I am looking to experts to tell me if I am right, or if I should bite bullet and get the glide.

The wife and I took out the nightster for the first real cruise since we have had it. We were only on it for about 2-2.5 hours and did about 100 miles. Alot of it was slower areas or winding roads. Even after stopping once, we were done when we got home. I know I can upgrade the seat, suspension etc to make it more comfortable but there was one rather scary moment. We were on a less than perfect paved road that was pretty bumpy. Even slowing down, I think had she not been an experienced rider she would have fallen off. We hit a bump and she came off the seat pretty far and kinda to the side (with a mid-rise sissy bar back rest).

I want something that will be comfortable enough for us to do 400 miles days for 3-y days in a row on. I am torn between the models mentioned above. I will have bags on either for the space. By dilemma is the street glide $7.5k better than the street bob? I have done a lot of research and most of what I find deals with solo rider comparisons.

How different are the actual frames of a dyna and touring model? "Frame size" was one of the big things I saw mentioned when it came to comfort on a touring vs a dyna. I am going to give the disclaimer now, I am new to big motorcycles so please don't get agitated. The glide is only 2.2 in longer, but the wheelbase for the bob is 0.2 in longer than the glide. With virtually the same wheel base it seems like that would be a wash either way as far as comfort goes.

I read in a few places that the rider is cramped more on the dyna's than the glides. We have plenty of space on the nightster. I will add a backrest, but I don't see that being an issue either. The only I see that may make the glide superior in this aspect may be pillion can be alot wider for the passenger, making it more comfortable.

The tires are fatter on the glide as well. I know it has some contribution to comfort, but how much? similar to going from a P rated to LT rated truck tire? better or worse?

Lastly, I am only about 5'8" and 165 lbs. There is a 240 lb difference in the two. Even I put bags and a windshield on the bob, it would still be 200lb lighter. I dont want that weight to be a factor.

Here are the figures from the website using "ready to ride" figures.

Bob Glide
Length 94.3 96.5
Seat height 25.5 26.1
clearance 4.7 5.3
Wheelbase 64.2 64
Front tire 100 130
Rear tire 160 180
Weight 670 810

Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,988 Likes on 11,038 Posts

Without a doubt the touring platform the Street Glide is based on is way more comfy for two up.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by upflying
Without a doubt the touring platform the Street Glide is based on is way more comfy for two up.
What about the platform is different other than the physical size and suspension? What about it makes it more comfortable? Not trying to be a smart a**.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,488 Posts

My prior ride was an '06 Dyna...FXDBI (was a street bob).
I had the 2-up seat, mini sissy bar.
I had highway pegs...my legs went forward more and I used my heels for shifting/brake.
I'm 6'5" and ~210lbs. My wife is 5'5" and ~140 lbs depending on my cooking.
We put lots of miles on that bike...2-up, she was quite comfy.

My current ride, even though it's a Shovelhead..it's an FLH..ElectraGlide Sport...so it's a Glide chassis. She says it's about equal for her comfort. I'm sure todays rolling couches are more comfy.

We've ridden 2-up on her Sportster before, with me up front.

Yes a Dyna can be plenty comfy for 2-up and long distances. Biggest thing is the seat (for her)...and her foot pegs.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:08 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

If your going to do any two up riding, the Street Glide is a better choice than a Dyna.

We went from a Fat Bob to a Street Glide. Much more room and comfort on the Street Glide.
Note: Even the Street Glide "might" need upgraded rear suspension for some, if riding two up.
The lowered look of the Street Glide comes at the expense of comfort.

With all of that said, the Dyna can certainly do two up riding.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
We put lots of miles on that bike...2-up, she was quite comfy.

My current ride, even though it's a Shovelhead..it's an FLH..ElectraGlide Sport...so it's a Glide chassis. She says it's about equal for her comfort. I'm sure todays rolling couches are more comfy.

Yes a Dyna can be plenty comfy for 2-up and long distances. Biggest thing is the seat (for her)...and her foot pegs.
How far do y'all go on a long day?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:19 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RollaMo
If your going to do any two up riding, the Street Glide is a better choice than a Dyna.

We went from a Fat Bob to a Street Glide. Much more room and comfort on the Street Glide.
Note: Even the Street Glide "might" need upgraded rear suspension for some, if riding two up.
The lowered look of the Street Glide comes at the expense of comfort.

With all of that said, the Dyna can certainly do two up riding.
Did you have upgraded suspension on the fat bob?

My wife and I are around 300-310lb riding weight. Would we still need to upgrade?

I say street glide because it is lowered. I think an ultra would be too high, not to mention twice the price. A co-worker has a lowered (cant get on regular motorcycle stand) 07 ultra classic that I have sat on and it feels about right. maybe a little taller, but definitely not much.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:21 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

We went from a Fat Boy to a SG. Would never go back for two up and touring. Yea, the Fat Boy or Fat Bob would be a great run around town/daily rides set up. Especially for only one up. But by the time you add all you need to the Bob, you could have a SG for about the same money. Plus you get a stereo, cruise control and lots more. IMO, not question on this.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
We went from a Fat Boy to a SG. Would never go back for two up and touring. Yea, the Fat Boy or Fat Bob would be a great run around town/daily rides set up. Especially for only one up. But by the time you add all you need to the Bob, you could have a SG for about the same money. Plus you get a stereo, cruise control and lots more. IMO, not question on this.
Would the upgraded (forks, springs seat) street bob be as good or better (comfort) than the stock street glide?

Not trying to be controversial. If they made a street glide without all of the chrome it would not be a question. It just seems like there is a very real possiblity for a street glide set up ideally vs a street bob would be $15k+. New or used.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:45 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Street glide without a doubt.

I ride solo and have a street bob. My uncle however has a street glide (both 2014's). I have driven his bike and it is set up for two-up and thats how he rides 99% of the time. I'm 5'9" and I'm a light guy at only 135lbs and my uncle is about 5'8" like you, I can tell you that the weight is not an issue, and it is only noticeable when backing the bike up. I would hands down chose the glide for having a passenger with you. While the street bob would have no problems and is certainly a fun bike and better looking IMO its hard to beat the street glide's batwing fairing, radio, suspension, and seating options for having a passenger with you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 up - Street bob or Street glide?