General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building an older HD in Canada - the ins and outs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Cobre Slim
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Building an older HD in Canada - the ins and outs?

Heya, searching for tips has not gotten me very far, so I'm going to try here and hope possibly another Canadian builder, or US builder in the know, can help. I'm looking to build a Pan, or Shovel, in Canada. The goal is to end up with an HD titled build. I'm looking for any help in what's allowed and what's not. I have already imported a 2012 Slim from the US, which went smooth as silk, and saved me almost 5k from CAN prices! which I put right back into the bike of course, lol.. anyway,

I troll several forums and classifieds in the US and see many deals on engines, trans, frames, rollers etc, that you just don't see up here. Not to mention the amount of parts available in the US is 100x more than what I have access to locally. So, what I "think" I know:

1- I need the original cases to keep HD title
2- I cannot import Special Construction

^^ I don't know much eh? and just by that alone I'm confused; as I'm pretty sure they just checked the frame when I imported. So what part does the engine play?

So the big question, and if you have more info than I'm asking please share:

1- what's separately importable? if anything.

thanks for the help!

*if you have a link to a site that will spell it all out - I'll take it! any Canadian import stuff I've found is just on whole bikes, mostly late model.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:19 PM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not sure about motor vehicles but I DO know that for aircraft in Canada the aircraft IS the serial number plate - if you have that, it is a "restoration"; if you don't, it is neither fish nor fowl. I suspect a bike would be the same and if you have the frame with a serial number on it, that's what your bike will be when you are done. Just make sure the bike is a make and model that was legally imported to Canada and not one that didn't meet Canadian regulations.

I have bringing in all kind of parts for classic/antique bikes and there has never been any problems or questions.